Chapter 6 - Aftermath

All Right Reserved

∞ | Chapter 6 - Aftermath | ∞

Rebellion Lands

"Where are you going?"

Adrastea turned around to see Rhydderch standing a few meters away in the middle of the path. His eyes staring her down and despite the distance between them, she could feel the heat of it.

"Vonsworth," she replied and tilted her chin a little defensively, preparing for him to bar her from going. "I've heard from some of the men that Murstein Keep finally surrendered and I need to get some of my stuff back."

To her surprise, Rhydderch shrugged and nodded, "Alright, let's go."

She stopped and narrowed her eyes at him, "You don't have to come with me." To be honest, Adrastea felt that it would be wise if he didn't come along. Despite meeting him a few days ago, she recognised that he was the type of person that had to know everything and right now, she wasn't fully comfortable with him nosing about. "I'm sure Jarek is fine to accompany me instead."

"Jarek?"

If she had only just met him, she would have thought he was genuinely confused. But no, she could only say that he was a fantastic actor when the occasion came to pass.

"Yes, you don't have to give me that almost-perfect performance of yours, I know he's been following me around under your orders," she raised her eyebrows challengingly, daring him to deny it.

Rhydderch smirked and strolled confidently towards her. "Well, Jarek has plans today, so I'll be coming along with you."

"You don't have to. I'm sure maybe anyone else could accompany me," she offered.

He was now standing beside her, his gaze on her and she could see a hint of amusement in them as if he knew that she was trying to avoid him. "Well, I have to admit that I'm very curious about what you were up to before arriving here."

His tone was firm and Adrastea knew that she couldn't convince him otherwise before resigning herself to be on guard. "I see," she said. "Well, what were you up to before starting the rebellion?"

Rhydderch smiled enigmatically but it didn't reach his eyes. "Come, I'll get the car," he said, ignoring her question.

Adrastea sighed and steadied herself, even though the feel of his hand on the small of her back made her want to fidget about.

* * *

Town Center, Vonsworth

"This is where you work?"

"Yes," she said and looked at him warily. "I would recommend you to not touch anything you're not familiar with," she warned before heading up the stairs.

Now that he was alone, Rhydderch allowed a scowl to appear on his face. Looking around, he could see the place was well furnished and seemed to be quite respectable which was a surprise. Vonsworth was a big city and there had to be many medics about and he knew that despite the fact that medics were respected, they weren't paid much.

How on earth was Adrastea able to afford anything? Could she have sold the formula for the antidote? No, that couldn't be. If it were, he would have heard about it already. Secrets and news like that wouldn't stay quiet.

Another surprising fact that he noted with much detail was that her medical centre hadn't been broken in and ransacked regardless of it being unattended for almost a week, especially with the political unrest. Well, the mess on the table in the main room didn't count considering that was self-inflicted due to saving Jarek that night.