Chapter 29 - Impasse

All Rights Reserved

∞ | Chapter 29 - Impasse | ∞

Neutral Grounds

"Is it always like this?"

Jarek raised an eyebrow quizzically.

"Waiting," she answered listlessly, eyes lifting to meet his.

"Yes, I suppose," he replied quietly and she studied her first friend that she had made.

"Do you feel like you're missing out?" Adrastea gestured to herself in the camp.

Apparently, Rhydderch hadn't trusted her to keep her word and had posted Jarek as her babysitter. She couldn't blame him. If she was in his position, she guessed that she'll probably do the same.

He laughed. "Yes. But having your company isn't all that bad."

She snorted. "I'm sorry that Rhydderch is making you babysit me. I know you'd rather be out fighting."

Jarek's eyes softened as he glanced away. "I would be telling you a lie if I said I enjoyed fighting."

"Why?" she peered at him. "Don't you? Aren't you here in the rebellion to feel like you're making a difference?"

He tensed. "That's only half the reason."

Adrastea bit her lip. "What's the other half?"

There was a silence so tense that it made her feel uncomfortable for even asking.

"I'm sorry if I was making you uncom-"

"Getting into the thick of things brings me one step closer to Eria," Jarek interjected. "If I die in the midst of battle, I'll be reunited with her."

She gaped at him before looking away. "I see."

Silence reigned once more and she shifted in her seat. What could one say to that? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. There wasn't anything she could say to comfort Jarek or to make things better. It was clearly his wish to be reunited with his soulmate but he didn't want to go about doing it via suicide; he wanted his death to be meaningful.

Besides, she didn't have a clue that was how Jarek had felt.

But, wasn't that how she had felt when it came to her own soulmate and his endeavours? Hadn't she said that she couldn't live without him? And look how she had reacted when she had thought Rhydderch was gone?

Suddenly, everything became clear as if the fog that had clouded her mind was swept away.

"I understand," she said quietly, offering him a tiny smile.

Jarek smiled but she could see it didn't reach his eyes.

"You don't have to feel sorry for me. I made peace with Eria's death a long time ago."

At the tone he had adopted, she could feel her heart break for him. At the opportunities that the pair had lost and that all Jarek had of her was the memories in his mind.

"I-" she began but was cut off by the sound of guns being fired.

* * *

Castle Inanis, Vallisrem

"We are not family," Rhydderch said forcefully, jaw clenched tight as he restrained all the fury he had bottled up for twelve years.

"We have the same blood in our veins," Medeia said cajolingly.

"You killed my parents."

"They were in my way."