Chapter 25 - Trust

All Rights Reserved

∞ | Chapter 25 - Trust | ∞

Antro Tower, Carvensland

It had been a week and three days since the Incident. And there was still no word from Vlad and the group of his loyal followers who managed to escape.

Deep down, Adrastea hoped that perhaps Vlad and his men had died in some skirmish but she knew that was just wishful thinking.

She stared at the journal on the desk and skimmed through it carefully. The Medics of the castle had left behind rather incredible notes on medicine and possible treatment and reading it now, she was rather inspired.

"How's your head?"

The cool nonchalant voice startled her and Adrastea jumped slightly before looking up to see Izla watching her impassively from the doorway into her office at the infirmary.

Hastily, she set down the pen and gave her full attention to the woman. "I'm much better. Thank you for asking," she replied warmly before turning to her. "How about you? Are you adapting well?"

"If you're asking if I'm mentally well. I would affirm you that yes I am," Izla replied dryly before stepping further into the room.

She noted with relief that Izla's appearance had improved drastically. Gone were the sallow pale complexion and the horrifying skeletal frame and gaunt face. Izla seemed to have a healthy glow, her eyes weren't circled with dark shadows nor did the dress she wore hung loosely around her frame.

"You do look better," she agreed before smiling. "How have you been? Has everyone treated you well?"

Izla tilted her head. "With suspicion, yes."

"Oh."

"I wanted to visit you but Rhydderch said you needed your rest," Izla continued as she sat on one of the chairs facing her desk. "But I can see that you're feeling much better especially with the red bite on the side of your neck."

"What?" Adrastea fumbled with the mirror she kept in the drawers and blushed furiously when she spotted the mark on the right side of her neck. How had she missed it this morning?

"Uhm, I." She stumbled gaped at Izla who laughed.

She was utterly surprised by the sound that came from Izla's lips. It was a tinkling sort of laughter that made you want to smile.

Adrastea marvelled at the difference that had taken place in Izla and she was just glad that Rhydderch's sister would have a chance to live a normal life after everything she had gone through.

Izla really was pretty. With the dark curls that tumbled down in lovely waves and the big haunting blue eyes that she and Rhydderch shared, she was sure to attract attention. With the addition of the aristocratic haughty features that she had, Izla was indeed blessed.

"I never expected my brother to have that sort of nature but I'm not complaining."

Adrastea didn't know if it was possible to stop her face from flushing but she really ought to do something about it.

"What about you?" She asked.

Izla frowned. "What exactly about me?"

"Have you met your soulmate? The mark?"

The look on Izla's face made her wish that she hadn't opened her mouth. "I'm sorry if you thought I was prying. If you don't wish to share anything with me, it's fine. I won't take offence," she rushed out quickly.