Chapter 15 - Suspicions

All Rights Reserved

∞ | Chapter 15 - Suspicions | ∞

Rebellion Lands

Adrastea eyed the growing number of people marching off with trepidation.

Hands curling around the handle of a leather bag containing her medical instruments, she watched with wary eyes at the animated conversations among everyone who were involved.It was close to midnight and the Rebellion was heading onto the Sage Cliffs to attack.

There was a sense of sombreness in the air because everyone knew that not everybody would make it out alive tonight. People would die, families would be torn up and there would definitely be grief and sorrow in the wake of war.

Adrastea just hoped that no one she knew would die tonight.

Everyone in the inner circle had agreed to her idea of using the small gateway at the back of the city - a gate that not many were aware of nor used much.

She had chosen to stay out of the fray, despite knowing how to shoot and use a blade. She and the rest of the Medics have chosen to remain near the camp to help those would be injured in the coming fight.

Her decision to stay behind was met with approval - mostly from Rhydderch as he didn't particularly want her getting caught in the skirmish and she was fine with that. She was a Medic, not a soldier and she would never be one.

Glancing up at the sky, she was incredibly grateful that it was foggy and that the moon couldn't be seen, providing a cover of sorts for the men to infiltrate the city safely.

To her knowledge, Jarek had already informed her that they already had people in the city and had increased their influence amongst those that were unhappy with the way things had been going in society. She was comforted by the fact that they had more allies plus with the addition of the twins who had left for the Sage Cliffs immediately after Lyla's burial.

The strategy for the rebellion to enter the city that everyone had decided on was actually quite ingenious. Rhydderch and Jarek would lead a small but incredibly well-skilled group of people into the city to meet the rest of their group before opening the larger set of gates to the rest of their men to launch the attack.

However, the fact that it was Darius leading the second group of men had her suspicions high. Sure, he was one of Rhydderch's trusted few and also, he was her soul mate's right-hand man.

But Adrastea didn't trust him.

Not since she caught him in Rhydderch's study snooping about. She wouldn't have questioned his actions had he not been acting suspiciously and uncomfortable at being caught.

She would have believed him if he had claimed that Rhydderch had sent him to get a book or notes if he had not acted a little guilty or angry at being seen. That had got her mind running.

She had thoughts about there being a spy in the rebellion but Adrastea hadn't expected that it could be Darius. He was incredibly loyal and respectful to Rhydderch and not to mention that in her opinion, he seemed to treat Rhydderch as if he was a god.

But the thought of success of the attack tonight depending on Darius left her feeling incredibly anxious and uncertain.

What if things didn't go to plan? What if Darius betrayed them all? What if he didn't lead the rest of the army into the city causing Rhydderch and his group to die due to the lack of reinforcements?

"Bones, are you coming? We have to start setting up!"

She whirled her head around to see one of her fellow Medics gesture to a bigger spacious tent not far off whose purpose was to hold the ill and the injured. Adrastea nodded and held up her bag. "Yes! I just need to grab a few more medicines and I'll be there!"