Chapter 17 - Order

All Rights Reserved

∞ | Chapter 17 - Order | ∞

Citadel Himmel, Sage Cliffs

"I don't see why you have to hold the trials just a day after the funeral," Adrastea commented dryly as she followed Rhydderch into the Great Hall in the castle where the former Regnants held trials.

The mass funeral that was held the day before was vastly different as compared to the one held in Vonsworth.

Perhaps it was due to the loss of both Valia and Vyctor that made the whole event even more sombre than it already was.

Three hundred were dead and Rhydderch had decided to dedicate a plot of land to bury those who had died fighting as he had done so in Vonsworth and Deserra.

As the rebellion leader, Rhydderch had given a small speech preceding the funeral and had called the names for those whose lives had been lost during the battle.

She had been sitting next to Jarek and Darius who had both flinched when Valia and Vyctor's names had been called. Unfortunately, due to the explosives used, their graves would be empty except for the weapons they had used which were found in the building that they had supposedly died.

After flowers were thrown into the ground and the graves were all covered, everyone in attendance of the funeral had trudged back into the city in relative silence.

Their minds lingering on the dead and looking forward to the new lives they could lead.Adrastea wouldn't admit to anyone but the fact that several graves were buried without any bodies reminded her once more that Rhydderch could have met a similar fate.

Forcing the grim thoughts from her mind, she had spent the rest of the day treating those who were injured while wondering the identity of the other spy in their midst.

However, despite the large group of people who had died and were seriously injured, it seemed to foster the people's spirits as more had pledged their lives to the rebellion and even more were determined to fight in efforts to change the current society's discrimination.

Now, that most of the injured were treated and well looked after by the Medics which also consisted of those from the Rebellion and from the Sage Cliffs, she had been relieved of her duties and was attending the mass trials held today.

"We have to get this over and done with before anyone has a chance to retaliate," Rhydderch replied as he headed down the stairs. "Also, we have to start assigning people to take charge of the city and run it the way it should have," he added as they entered the hallway that led to the Great Hall.

She frowned but refrained from commenting and was he limping a little? She narrowed her eyes and studied his stance further.

"We can't do any of that once people are held accountable for their crimes. In order to start anew - for the city to run as it should, we have to get rid of the weeds by the roots," he continued, eyes darting to hers, daring her to contradict him.

She pursed her lips and remained silent. Her mind and heart already going out for those they had lost. She knew some of them and she had mourned in private.

"Don't tell me you're feeling sympathetic for those who are on trial today," he drawled and gave nods of acknowledgement to the men on guard in the hallway who saluted once they caught sight of him.

She scowled at him. "No, I just thought that we ought to have a longer period of time to mourn the dead."

Rhydderch shot her a side glance. "I know, but we are at war and we have already wasted enough time already. When all this is over, we can mourn as much as needed." The warm tone he used made her relax and she offered him a tight smile which he returned with a hand on the middle of her back.