Chapter 10 - Message

All Right Reserved 

∞ | Chapter 10 - Message | ∞ 

Rebellion Lands

"I don't even know what he sees in her," Darius sneered as he spotted Rhydderch walking alongside Bones' sister.

"I believe, that it is none of our business," Jarek answered good-naturedly, his blue eyes also on the rebellion leader and his soulmate.

Darius scoffed, "It is when its clear that she's leading him around by the neck like a dog." He exhaled from the cigarette dangling between the tips of his fingers.

Jarek cocked an eyebrow at his friend and spared a quick glance back to Rhydderch and Adrastea. "I don't think that anyone can tell Rhydderch to do anything he doesn't want to do unless we are talking about a different person all together," he offered.

The blonde sneered once more. "Of course not, but she's influencing him subtly. You can't see it because you and everyone else is all fooled into thinking she's a fucking angel with a halo and everything."

Jarek glanced to the clear sky as if asking the heavens for patience to deal with his temperamental friend. "I'm assuming that it is because of your hatred for Edmond that is causing you to extend the same feelings to Adrastea." Seeing Darius take another drag from the cigarette as in protest of what he just said, Jarek continued. "Once you get to know Adrastea, you'll find that she's nothing like her brother."

The differences between the Bones' siblings was so vast that it could probably fill an ocean but it would be very clear to a stranger that Edmond Bones was someone not too popular in the rebellion.

Darius let out a stream of expletives before tossing the cigarette to the ground and stomped on it to extinguish it properly. "That's because she reminds you of your soulmate. Eria was her name wasn't it?"

Immediately, Jarek tensed at the mention of her name. Even though it had been years, it always brought an ache to his heart. Darius continued absentmindedly, his grey eyes on the sight of Adrastea snorting before turning away from Rhydderch who allowed a smug smirk settle on his face. "She was from Vonsworth wasn't she? Just like Adrastea Bones-"

"Shut it Darius," Jarek warned, blue eyes flashing as every part of him was poised to attack if Darius didn't shut his mouth soon.

"- are you sure you're not replacing Eria with Adrastea?" Darius continued as if Jarek hadn't interrupted him and was not close to lunging towards him to wrap his hands around his neck.

"I said shut it, Darius."

At the tone used, Darius realised he had gone too far. It wasn't as if Jarek had yelled or shouted but his voice was so quiet and still and even that it made him pause. "Well, Eria died to save you, my soulmate tried to kill me," he offered indifferently.

Jarek exhaled and shut his eyes as old grief swept across him. Hearing how Eria had protected him always made him feel like a failure for not being able to protect her.

After Rhydderch had saved him from capital punishment for harming an Affluent albeit his status of a Valiant, he had been on his own in Vonsworth and there he was on the streets and after bumping into someone shorter, he apologised and moved on unaware that he dropped his wallet until a hand tapped his shoulder and there she was, a hesitant smile on her face. "You dropped this."

With that his fate was sealed and Eria was the one person in the whole world who meant the most to him.

Pulling himself together, Jarek opened his eyes to see Darius eyeing him in what seemed like regret but of course the blonde was too stubborn to apologise but he would make his amends in other ways.