Epilogue

All Rights Reserved

∞ | Epilogue | ∞

Castle Inanis, Vallisrem

Adrastea had always thought that love was soft, gentle, warm and forgiving. Even as a child, that had been the kind of love she had always dreamed about.

She was mistaken.

As she grew older, she realised that kind of love was the stuff of fairytales. It was an illusion; a bedtime story given to young girls to make them dream and hope.

No, love wasn't like that.

Love wasn't kind, nor was it gentle like a feather brushing softly against your cheek.

Instead, she had come to learn that love was hurt, pain and sorrow. It was hard and unyielding and yet fragile. It was like a heated iron stoker plunged into your heart. It was grief, anger and selfishness.

Basically, love is giving someone your heart, soul, mind and body and trusting them not to hurt you.

Nonetheless, she treasured it.

A soft kiss was pressed onto her bare shoulder and she turned to see Rhydderch staring at her through lazy half-lidded eyes.

"What's on your mind?"

She shook her head, sighing in content as his calloused fingers pushed her hair to the side before planting more kisses on her bared shoulders and neck.

"Nothing," she said, turning to smile at him. "It's just five years have passed this fast. That's all."

The look in Rhydderch's eyes gleamed and a smirk settled on his handsome features. "That is because things have turned out for the better, wouldn't you say?" he drawled out.

"Yes," she admitted before getting to her feet, allowing the soft midnight blue silk of her dress to drop to her feet. "They have."

It was true. Things had changed for the better.

Effectively, people were no longer discriminated because of who they were. It had worked. Society had changed drastically ever since Rhydderch held the reigns. But there were some instances where prejudice appeared sporadically. She wasn't surprised by that of course. No one could change and rewrite history that spanned centuries.

However, it gave her comfort to know that things were getting better, even though progress could be slow.

"But I have to say that I prefer this dress to the others you own," he commented, eyes taking her form in with dark eyes.

"Clearly," she remarked with a small grin, hands smoothing down the elaborately designed dress that bared her shoulders, showing the graceful arch of her neck.

"Don't you have to get ready? I'm sure the council will need their Regnant before the celebrations begin later."

Rhydderch shrugged, hands running through his dark hair as he slid on his black robes. Robes that were specially designed for Regnants.

"I know, but I wish to check on Henryk first."
Immediately, a smile bloomed on her face at the mention of their son. Her precious darling boy.

"Aren't you coming?"

She nodded. "I will. I just have to settle my hair first."

She watched from the reflection of her mirror as Rhydderch took a seat on their bed, watching her intently as she teased her hair to the left before pinning it with pearl combs that he had gifted her about two years ago.