Chapter 21 - Closer

All Rights Reserved

∞ | Chapter 21 - Closer | ∞

Citadel Himmel, Sage Cliffs

"How is she?"

Adrastea looked up from the medical sheets detailing a patient's illness at Rhydderch's entrance. Rhydderch had been on edge. Had been ever since his sister's rather abrupt arrival.

She didn't know what to make of it. Was it good that he was somewhat emotionally affected by something or someone that wasn't her? That he cared for someone else's wellbeing? Adrastea hoped that it was.

She knew that Rhydderch could particularly be heartless or emotionally closed off. But it was fortunate that this didn't apply to his sister.

She took another quick glance at the cot that Izla was in. "There isn't much of a difference yet. And she hasn't shown any signs of waking."

An inscrutable expression appeared. "It's been twelve hours."

She could hear the demand in his statement and she shrugged helplessly. "There isn't anything I or anyone can do now but wait."

A muscle ticked in his jaw and he headed to the cot where Izla lay.

His eyes narrowed onto the metal cuffs enclosed around Izla's wrists. "What is that?"

She blinked, eyes moving to the direction where he was glaring and she sighed. She had hoped that he wouldn't notice them. But who was she kidding? He noticed everything.

"Just in case," she replied, watching him warily.

"Just in case what?" he demanded, turning on his heel to face her as his eyes flashed dangerously.

"I didn't want to but it had to be done. She could wake and kill anyone here especially when she realises she's in unfamiliar territory. She can be a danger to others and herself," Adrastea explained as Rhydderch glared at her before turning away.

It may seem wrong to do that to someone unconscious but she had thought it was best. Rhydderch was well trained in combat. In fact, he was better than an average Valiant and apparently so was Izla. She didn't want to think about the possible consequences if precautionary measures were not taken.

By the stiffening in his back, she knew that he understood her reasoning and wasn't going to give her grief about it.

Silence reigned in the room and she wondered if she ought to say anything. But then again, their relationship wasn't built alongside with frivolities like pointless conversations to fill silences.

She decided on being quiet, she had nothing to say and if Rhydderch had anything to say, he would.

Adrastea had come to realise that whatever she had thought about soulmates had changed drastically. Ever since she was a child, she had thought that her soulmate would be a perfect complement to her. Someone who would shelter her away from the cruelty and reality of life.

She was an idiot of course.

No one could do that for her. Except for herself. Yes, Rhydderch wasn't someone she could cry her heart out to. Alright, maybe she could but it would be horribly awkward for him and she would probably laugh while crying because of his expression. Nonetheless, he was someone she could depend on like a rock in the raging seas. There was no one she trusted like she trusted him.

It was almost as if she lo-

Her hand shook as that thought entered her mind. No. It wasn't. She didn't. She couldn't.