Chapter 8 - Burn

All Right Reserved

∞ | Chapter 8 - Burn | ∞

Murstein Keep, Vonsworth

Avoiding.

That was something that Adrastea realised she was good at. She had always thought that she would face her problems head on and without hesitation.

Until she met Rhydderch Thomas.

The man simply threw her off balance and after that encounter with him in his office, she avoided him as if he was one of the five Regnants himself.

His touch made her soulmate mark feel as if he was touching it, despite his hands being somewhere else. His scent made her feel a little lightheaded at times but his behaviour confused her terribly. For one moment, he was all playful and charming and the next, he was like a snarling beast before switching to a seductive charmer.

Not that she fell for it.

The problem was that she simply couldn't read him well. After knowing him for about two weeks, she still couldn't figure out what was his motivations, what was he really like when no one was around?

That being said, she had been so utterly surprised when he let down his polite charming facade and gave her a furious scowl in its stead. She had always been so used to his impassive expression, charming but well thought of words and brilliant smiles. Seeing his displeasure had knocked her off balance.

He was definitely not the man he portrayed himself to be.

Unfortunately, all avoidance had to end by today seeing that there was going to be a display of power in the centre of Vonsworth later on.

Some of the rebellion had shifted to the city of Vonsworth, following their leader who was ensuring that everything was fine and that there were no resistance from the Affluents before they moved on to the next city - the Sage Cliffs. Everyone had moved into Murstein Keep the day before yesterday and Adrastea had gladly taken the opportunity with both hands to avoid Rhydderch among the chaos of the move.

But she knew that he always had an eye on her seeing that Jarek was always following her about on Rhydderch's orders.

Fortunately, Edmond had decided to speak to her again, now that he was done with his little tantrum. Together, they had taken rooms in the castle that were placed side by side. She was unwilling to be separated from her brother especially now when they were back in Vonsworth. Where everything involving their family had been ruined in Vonsworth.

Albeit the fact that the rebellion had succeeded in gaining control of Vonsworth, the social stability was extremely fragile. Everyday, at least someone was being attacked and there were many problems that arose. Since she hadn't been around when they had captured the previous city - Deserra - she had no idea how Rhydderch and the rest of the rebellion were going to achieve total control over the Affluents and the Valiants here in Vonsworth.

Because if they didn't, there would never be peace in the city. And it would prove to everyone that Rhydderch was not an effective and efficient leader and that could potentially lead to resistance from the Affluents.

Adrastea quickly braided up the last of her hair before examining herself closely in the mirror. Her grey eyes were guarded, they had to be now that they were back in territory that may not be as welcoming. Her face gave nothing away, not a single flicker of thought or emotion and her stance was a tad bit defensive.

Years of being on her own had led her to that. She pinched her cheeks, wiling them to give some colour to her pale complexion before slipping the gun and knife into her pockets. She didn't care that Jarek was watching out for her, Adrastea didn't want to depend on him continuously.