Chapter 14 - Heart

All Rights Reserved

∞ | Chapter 14 - Heart | ∞

Rebellion Lands

"No, you have to hold it like this," he instructed and she blew out a breath from how strict and stoic he was being.

"I get it," she said tiredly, eyes on the small pistol she held in her hand before she glanced up at Rhydderch who was staring at her with mild annoyance in his eyes. He was getting impatient and so was she.

"No, you don't," he countered seriously as he picked the small but deadly weapon from her hand. "This is a weapon that kills immediately. Using it does not give you time to plan how or who to kill nor does it allow you to have second thoughts. It isn't like your operating table."

Adrastea blinked. Well, when he put it that way, she didn't really want to handle a weapon like that any longer.

He sighed and stared at her gravely. "I know your apprehension of weapons like this. But we are at war and it seems like we have more trouble coming sooner than I thought."

She had seen the mark of the raven on the assailant when he died and the look on her soulmate's face sent shivers of fear down her back.

"I know, I just-" she cut herself off abruptly. "I don't like killing unless it is necessary."

He raised a brow. "You killed that assailant," he pointed out and she glanced away.

"That was different," she murmured defensively. And it was personal too, her mind mentally added.

"Well, whatever qualms you have, you have no choice. We are at war," Rhydderch repeated as he paced a tad bit in front of her. "Your opponents wouldn't be so kind to you as you are to them."She nodded reluctantly and he passed the small pistol back to her. "Once more," he ordered and she heaved a sigh.

Taking a deep breath, she aimed the pistol at the target that was positioned ten metres away and pressed down on the trigger.

The sound of the pistol being fired made her jerk and the memory of Lyla's neck being snapped surfaced in her mind once again. Shuddering, she dropped the gun onto the ground before swallowing harshly.

"I can't!" she gasped and met Rhydderch unflinching stare. "I can't. I get your logic and your explanation but-" she lowered her voice. "I don't want to be a person who doesn't think twice about killing someone."

He stared at her before exhaling heavily. "At least learn how to use it to defend yourself. I hope that you do get the concept of self-preservation?"

She scowled at him, snatching the gun from the ground. "I do. I just don't want to be desensitised to killing. I'm a Medic! My job is to save lives and to help those in need, not go off to fight."

He eyed her speculatively before understanding gleamed in his dark eyes. "The fact that you indirectly caused Lyla's death plays hard on your job as a Medic, isn't it?"

She stared at him, wondering how the hell had he - once again - managed to read her so perfectly well. "Yes."

"It harps on your duty as a Medic, instead of helping her, you played a hand in her death," he suggested and she hated him for saying that so callously.

"Shut up," she gritted her teeth. "I know I did kill her. You don't have to say it!"

As a response, Rhydderch tugged her away from the practice grounds, leading her back to the main camp, his hand on her elbow, guiding her.