Chapter 23 - Reality

All Rights Reserved

∞ | Chapter 23 - Reality | ∞

Citadel Himmel, Sage Cliffs

"Is everything good?"

"I hope so," Jarek muttered as he wiped the soot away from his face. His eyes were stinging from the smoke and all he wanted to do was tend to his injured arm.

"What started the fire?" Darius pressed, brows furrowed as he took in the scene of the damaged Great Hall. The walls and the ceiling were blackened with soot and the stench of burnt items filled the air.

Thankfully, only a few had been injured and the fire put out with quick efficiency before it got out of hand and spread to the other parts of the castle. In fact, Darius had arrived just in time to see the fire being put out.

"Not sure, some said it was a knocked over candle while others said someone had dropped a lit cigarette onto something and that caused it all. I'm waiting for Farrah to give a report later."

Darius scowled and shook his head. His mind condemning the idiotic careless fool who was the cause of all this.

He watched as one of their soldiers carried a man away from the debris and deposited him to where some Medics were tending to the other injured people.

He eyed his surroundings, taking in the damage. No doubt the council members would start up a fight about them being unable to take care of a castle. First, the assassin and now the fire.

From the corner of his eye, Darius spotted Ava helping a woman along who was frozen in shock from the fire. As if she could feel his eyes on her, she looked up. He relaxed slightly and swallowed hard as Ava offered him a tentative smile before she quickly glanced away.

Things with Ava were never easy.

"Adrastea quite supports you with her, you know," Jarek commented lightly and Darius rolled his eyes.

"It's none of her business," he said roughly, his eyes seeking Ava out again.

"I just thought you should know."

Darius rolled the muscles in his back. "She ought to keep Rhydderch more on a leash seeing that he's turning her into someone quite like him now."

"Meaning?" Jarek questioned as he inspected the minor burn on his arm.

"The latest meeting? When has she ever done something like that? Threats and a smile all in one. Sounds familiar?"

Jarek laughed. "Maybe it's a good thing. They are good for each other."

"Maybe," Darius offered grudgingly. He had to admit - no matter how much it pained him to do so - that Adrastea Bones wasn't as bad as her useless brother like he had initially thought.

Jarek snorted before frowning. "Where is she by the way? Aren't you on guard duty?"

"She went ahead to warn Rhydderch and his sister," he grunted.

"Are you sure? The fire has been out for quite some time and Rhydderch is still nowhere to be seen," Jarek pointed out, eyes scanning the crowd for any sign of Rhydderch or Adrastea.

At that, Darius froze and slowly, his eyes met Jarek's. "No," he swallowed, "you can't possibly think-"

Both went silent before turning on their heels and scrambled their way up to the infirmary.

* * *

"A knife?" Rhydderch questioned lowly, a minute threat in his words and Izla shrugged. "She said she was your soulmate, I didn't trust her."