1.5 Surprise

Naya P.O.V.

"Are you alright? What was that?" Connor asked me frantically, steadying me instantly.

"A déjà vu. I don't know..." I shook my head slightly. Not understanding why I was having so many lately but none had come close to having such intensity like this one.

"Hey look at me. Are you sure you're okay?" He turned me around to face him. He used to be one of my best friends once upon a time. His warm brown eyes did nothing to comfort me. 

Too much time had passed. He's no more than a stranger to me. My heightened hearing senses picked a clicking noise scraping across the floor, making its way towards the hall.

Detaching myself from him I walking around the round table straightening the fine titanium cutlery with intricate filigree designs. 

"Are there any new developments in the Rickson assignment? Or are the investors still holding out? Because if that's the case I'd rather look somewhere for the money. 

"It's been too long and we can't keep our workers on hiatus for that long. They need pay checks. If they can't come up with any good deals then we move on to the Masiman Project."

I had managed to fold my arms and stare right in his eyes while I spoke to him. I knew Lucy had entered through the open double door way taking in our conversation. 

I didn't want to linger around her or Connor more than I needed to. Neither did I feel like explaining anything to him.

Turning slightly, I walked wards the way she came in.

"Good luck with tonight. I can tell the food is going to be amazing." I spoke softly. A polite tone that had been void when I ordered Connor. Lucy was pretty and petit. Small and slim. She smiled slightly, green eyes wondering from me to Connor then back. Connor had said nothing at him. It was better that way.

So, I walked away.

Connor and I were never anything. Neither did we have feelings for each other. But we grew up together. Went to school together. Ran through our first full moon after transition. Not only Connor but Macey, Jackson, Meesha. 

Jackson had found his mate around 18. She was a timid Omega who couldn't cope in a new pack so he left to live near her family. We still kept in touch but it's been nearly 4 years and things never seem to stay the same. 

The other girls found their mate around their 20s and all moved away instantly. Promising to keep in touch. Meesha had a child soon after. I guess Macey and I didn't talk baby enough so we slowly lost the closeness. 

Even though Macey was mated and lived on a whole didn't Hemisphere than me, we were still inseparable. We text all the time, skype and travel back often. 

I didn't know if it was for the fact that it had been only one year that she left or that we were actually really close. I was opting for the latter one.

That left Connor. We got really close when Macey left. Like a brother that I never had. There were no romantic feelings from either of us and I was EXTREMELY ecstatic when he found his mate. 

It made me feel like I gained a new family member only to have her stop Connor from seeing me as often because she didn't understand the reason behind why a mated wolf would need to be friend with an un-mated she wolf.

Connor seemed embarrassed by her way of thinking but still couldn't oppose her. It made sense. She came from a closed gated wolf community. 

Their rules were less modern than ours. Macey had fully stopped talking to him. Sometimes, on special occasion when all five of us get the opportunity spend some time together, Lucy always pulls Connor away.