10. Ocean's P.O.V.

Ocean's P.O.V.

A faint heartbeat.

Everyone's head whipped towards her lifeless body. Most of my enforcers took a step towards her. My eyes locked with Aaron's. He burst into action.

"Clinic. NOW. She's fucking alive."

Hope lasted for only a semi-second. I couldn't feel her. Pushing my emotions aside I concentrated on that feather light heartbeat. Picking her up as carefully as possible, we sprinted towards the road. I saw Levi and two other running back towards the cars. 

She jerked in my arms every time my foot hit the ground. The world hazed around me. Green and brown colours blurred into linear lines, as they passed by.

I didn't remember getting into the car or who was driving it or how it got there. My body numb. My actions were mechanical. All I could think about was to get my mate to safety. He usual tanned complexion appeared pale. 

Her feather light heart beats were ten to twenty second apart. It was unnatural. I hated that I couldn't fell her. I hated that her eyes were now closed shut. I just needed to see her stormy grey eyes, see her smile. 

She was perched up on my lap while the car sped over the limit, consuming away the miles that lead home. Her hair tie had come loose so I took it out. Her long hair was tangled with twigs, leaves and dirt but I didn't care. She was still the most beautiful person in the world to me.

I tried to untangle them from her hair. One by one. 27 of them. I counted, to keep me sane. To have one thing to focus on. If I didn't, I might have been howling in agony. A small pile of debris scattered across the SUV floor. 

Afterwards, I smoothed the tangles down making sure not to tug it with too much force. I remember a dream from weeks ago, after she moved in with me. It was a dream of us, tangled in the sheets. The room was bigger than my whole house with gold and antiques décor. I remembered thinking of it as chambers.

We were covered in sweat from head to toe. Her head lazily rested on my shoulder and our breaths intermingled above my chest. Her thigh draped over mine, feet wriggling lazily against my shin. She drew images on my pectoral muscles that sent tingles straight to my di-

She playfully swatted my chest. Uh-uh, no more. I can't. A small smile touched my lips in real-life. She felt so warm and delicate under my big hands. Not the cold and limp form that was crumpled in my arms. 

I remember running my fingers through my long silky hair. It smelled of frankincense then, whereas now it smelled faintly of jasmine, heavily mixed with woods and grass. My stomach dropped. I remembered waking up early that morning, leaving without saying a word, coming home later than usual. I didn't want the connection between us to get stronger.

It didn't even make sense any more. Why did I do it? At first I kept telling myself it was to protect her from the pain of knowing that death was inevitable for us. Then, when a month flew away it just became easier to keep it myself.

 She was so pure I didn't want to taint her. Gulping loudly, I brought her even closer to my body. Trying use the heat to keep her warm. I didn't take my eyes off her even when the car entered the rocky patch of our land. It swerved around trees, bounced on uneven ground but it made it to the clinic in record time. 

A.J. opened the door, allowing me to rush into the Clinic.

Blurry forms moved towards me, distorted voices reached my ears but everything was ignored. I raced past the reception are, right in to operating room and laid her down on the gurney.