21. Ashworth

Naya's P.O.V. 20th Century.

 1939 Ashworth, Western Hemisphere. (Western Hemisphere resembles Europe and Ashworth would probably be like a country side in England.) We are moving back in time again. The time with Naya and Ocean from 1990 is over and now we are in the 20th century. 

Bombs were being deployed from the aircrafts that zapped across the clouds. Humans and non-humans scurried away in a hurry towards their bomb shelters. Trenches covered most of the fields. 

Fields that were once used for vegetation, not war. Humans loved their war. First, they fought us now they were fighting each other. Endangering us with them.

My husband and I had been running from a crazy hunter for 3 years now and finally we found good refuge but the humans had to go ruin it. A life of constant fear and uncertainty. 

Ocean once tried to attack him when he found us in a small inn where we were staying for nearly six months. I picked up a shift as a bar maid and he got a job at the local printing mill as a writer.

That was 2 years ago and our most steady life until we stumbled down to Ashworth. Sometimes, we didn't have enough money on our journey but we always had each other. Sometimes, we'd luck out and get a good job to earn enough and save for the journey ahead. 

Sometimes, we weren't lucky enough and had to find abandoned houses and if people were kind enough, they take us in for a night or two.

Elina was one of them. She'd lived a thousand years and was the wisest person I'd ever met. A woman with integrity and honour. Thank the spirits that she found us at the right moment or I would have been dead. The wound on my abdomen had healed fully but the scarring remained.

We were in a pub when a group of military men in uniform walked in with their exposed revolver and Springfield slung around their backs. When we left the place, one of them started following us even. His was bought down too for anyone to see his face.

We immediately knew it was the Darkling, that was after us since the beginning. No one knew his real name but in the supernatural world, anyone who could create chaos from this air, was called a Darkling.

We ran fast knowing our powers were no match to his. His ability to bend air was like no other. Ocean's learned that the hard way when he broke his spine then first time we were attacked. But then, we had our pack fighting for us against the intruder but many died that day. Hence, we were shunned from our own community.

Running through the dark alley, we took the back roads trying to use our night vision to our advantage. That's when a couple of shots tore through the air and one pierced my abdomen when I turned to pull Ocean down with me to the ground.

My husband hated seeing that scar. According to Ocean, it was his duty to protect me but I, was perfectly capable of protecting myself. But jumping in front of a bullet wasn't really protecting anyone but getting myself killed. 

If it wasn't for Elina – one of the women in the pub – running into ally along with others after they heard the gun shot, I would have bled out right there.

Elina immediately recognised the silver bullet by Ocean's burnt fingers from attempting to take out the bullet. The excruciating pain I was in, caused me to faint and when I came to she was hovering over us. 

She took a good look at Ocean and I before spurring into action, she immediately used an end of a spoon to pull out the bullet before I died. Luckily, it didn't have molten silver inside, if it did, I wouldn't have survived at all.