23. Asyut

Asyut is basically Egypt.
Naya's P.O.V.
Anya - Naya
Anubis - Ocean
Ancient Asyut 5th century.
Central Southern Hemisphere.

The human girl brushed back my long black hair with a wide tooth comb. It was plated with gold, like most of the artefacts in this Palace. Daria, my head servant, once brought it to my knowledge that many women were jealous of the attribute of wolves. 

Or any other deities. In the land of Gods, Goddess and magic, it was safe to roam free as whoever as you pleased. She brushed back the hair away from my neck to reveal a reddish scar in the shape of a bite mark. I blushed slightly not being able to meet her eyes.

The mark was a symbol of claim of a mate. It was a new concept to us. The spirits had gifted us with a mate. To protect us. That's what the Priestess said. She was a Seer. The start of the Great War in other Hemispheres within the last century had caused quite a turbulence in the spirit world. The Seer had warned all supernatural to stop mating with the mortals, to wait for ones' mate.

Lucky for me, mine had found me already.

Daria put my head dress on, beautiful coloured beads that made noises every time I moved my head. I loved them. I loved the gold upper arm spiral bangle with a profile view of a wolf at the top. Black coals framed my eyes. 

The beads and my bangs rested just below my eye brows. A white cotton dress that touched my ankles harbouring bejewelled leather sandals. In the desert, everyone was taken care of. The Great River Nile provided us with water, the Sun God blessed us with plentiful energy, wisdom, power and wealth beyond any other Hemispheres.

There was a slight knock on my chamber door. When I signalled the other servants, watering the plants on the balcony, to open the door, it revealed the errand boy. He was a wolf too. A new pup, eager to learn the laws of security before following in his fathers' footstep.

"Your Highness, the King has arrived safely." He bowed his head slightly. His steel plated armour engulfed his torso; the cloth wrapped around his lower body fell to his knees. Without being able to rein in my excitement I mumbled a gratitude towards Daria before following the boy though the long and high ceiling hallways. 

Enormous pillars stood on either side them at equal intervals. My feet beat against the stone floors with patterns embedded on them. Many hieroglyphs surrounded the walls.

I wove through hallways and stairs cases to reach the central palace, where the throne sat. The whole city of Asyut was visible from there. The hall was beautiful. White silk sheets hung from the ceiling, larger than life statues sat on either end. In the middle two thrones took its rightful place. So much gold, bronze, brass and rubies, the kingdom was over loaded with privileges.

Saddest thing was, I didn't care. I looked around for my mate and there he was, standing on the balcony behind the thrones. Holding my dress up by my hips and jogged towards him. He must have heard by beads knocking on each other because he turned around with a knowing smile. Extending one arm towards me, he waited.

My Anubis.

Slowing down when I reached him, I took his hand in mine and stood there, taking him all in. He wasn't in his wolf form, which all the Gods were known for, their ethereal bodies. Their supernatural appearance. To me he was just my mate. 

He placed his free hand on my face dragging me in for a soft touch on the lips. His skin was dark from the sun, gold plated armours covered his chest, shoulders and upper arms. His head dress was resting on the beautiful heavy brass table next the wine -long neck curved- jug.