Chapter Twenty Three

The flight was quite quick as Alex had spent most of it thinking. She couldn't sleep because she knew that if she were to shut her eyes, the first thing she'd see was Jason's lips against Zara's, their bodies meshed and his hands holding her upper arms aggressively almost as if he was trying to pull her in closer. So she'd spent her time thinking about what she was going to do. In her mind she'd made a mental list. First, she was going to talk to Alexis, then she'd talk to Jonathan, next she'd talk to her mother, after that she'd hand over the 'Taste of the Islands' project and finally she'd ignore Jason. Hopefully forever. The last one was pretty farfetched because she had a feeling that whether he knew it or not, Jason had her heart in his hands and by kissing Zara he'd managed to crush it into a million pieces. Alex knew she'd never get it back.

 She blamed herself for falling too deep so quickly and not guarding herself more but she knew deep down that her heart didn't stand a chance against Jason.

 As she walked out of the plane to go and meet Mya, she thought about how she was going to break it down to her best friend what had happened. Finally she spotted the petite beauty, sipping on something she'd bought from Starbucks and looking absolutely exhausted. "Hey girl." Alex said when she came to a stop.

"I really really hope you have a good explanation as to why I'm sitting here at 5am picking up your ass when you should be lapping up the sun in Barbados." Alex scratched her head and shrugged.

 "I'll tell you in the car, but thanks for coming."

 "You better be thankful."

 She hugged her briefly and they made their way to Mya’s car, Alex answering her questions on how her trip was. “Actually, can you drop me off at Alexis’ house?” Mya paused and turned to fully face her best friend, to make sure she’d heard her correctly.

 “Come again?”

 “I need you to drop me off at Alexis’ house.”

 She blinked. “Why?”

 Alex tilted her head and shrugged. “I need to see and talk to my sister.” There was a small lapse of silence before Mya reached over and began slapping Alex with her two petite hands. “MYA!” The small woman didn’t stop though; she kept pelting her body with slaps until she finally fell back into her seat, breathing heavily. Alex opened her mouth to talk but was quietened when she was hit again. “What is wrong with you?!”

“What’s wrong with you? Why are you going to go see that heifer?”

“Because... I can’t explain it but I just need to speak to her. Please.” Mya looked over at her friend and started the car. “Thank you.”

“Now can you tell me why you’re back early? I was expecting you today at like 11pm.”

 Alex sighed and realised that her hands were slightly shaking. “Jason kissed another woman.” For a full five seconds Mya did nothing. She said nothing and continued to drive.

 “Are you sure?”

 That was definitely not the reply Alex wanted to hear. “What do you mean ‘am I sure?’ Of course I am sure. I saw him with my own two eyes. Him and that skinny ass bitch Zara.”

 “Zara? As in Zara the tall model-looking green eyed woman?” Alex stared at her best friend in confusion. “I’ve heard about her.”

“So you know that she took Jason’s virginity and they were once engaged?” Mya nodded and Alex wondered how she never knew. “Well, yeah... they kissed.”

 “Oh honey, if I could hug you I would but...” She reached out an arm and wrapped it around Alex who looked on the verge of tears.

 “I told him that I loved him and I wanted a relationship with him.” Mya gasped and gave her a quick look that told her to continue. “He didn’t say it back but we got together.”