Chapter 9

(Y/n)'s POV

~The next day~

I woke up and yawned. "(Y/n)!"
"Oh, hey Flare."
"I'm gonna go play with Sodom for a bit. See you later."

Before I could even reply, she ran out of our room. I just smiled and got ready. I wonder what she was playing. *sigh* Yesterday's events played in my mind. I still wasn't 100% sure if Toko was telling the truth but I still decided to give her a chance.

"(Y/n), why don't you come down for breakfast?" It was Toko.
"N-no thanks, I'm not hungry." She sat down beside me.
"(Y/n), we truly are sorry. Please forgive us. I know you said you did but..."
"Okay Toko, I'll go down to breakfast." She smiled and jumped up and down.
"Come on, let's go." She grabbed my hand and literally dragged me to the dining room. Yuki was there serving soup.
"This morning, I tried to make some Italian home cooking, with ingredients I ordered," Toma explained then added, "Please have as much as you'd like."
"Hooray!" Toko was beaming with happiness.
"Toko-chan, what about your diet?" Tsukumo asked.
"T-tomorrow. D-didn't I say I'd start tomorrow?" Toko asked, stuttering. Then Tachibana walked in. I was standing in the corner, trying to go unnoticed.
"How unusual...Shu-kun isn't here yet," he exclaimed.
"That is strange but typical for Hotsuma," Toko replied.
"Oh, (Y/n)? You're here as well?" Tachibana asked, surprised.
"Y-yeah."
"I invited her," Toko exclaimed. Toma was getting out some poison until Toko glared at him.
"Toma-san!"
"Hehe, old habits die hard."

I cracked a smile. Yuki went to get Shusei while we waited here. After a while, Yuki came back but said that Shusei had left.

"What? He skipped breakfast again? That bastard," Hotsuma exclaimed. He turned around and went towards the door.
"Wait, Hotsuma-kun. I made some sandwiches, could you please give them to Shusei-kun?" Toma asked.

Hotsuma took them and muttered a thanks. He ran off to find Shusei. I looked out the window and wondered why I was here. Maybe I should just go back.

"(Y/n), sit down. We're not going to bite," Toko exclaimed. I hesitantly sat down next to her.

~Timeskip to after breakfast~

I was forced again by Takashiro to walk Yuki to school.

"Where's Luka?"
"He said that you could handle the job," Yuki replied. Eh?! That was a first. He never left Yuki alone.
"Is something wrong?" Yuki asked.
"No, it's nothing." The rest of the walk was in a peaceful silence.
"Well, goodbye Yuki."
"Bye (Y/n)." A girl with short brown hair and brown eyes walked up to me.
"Um..." Yuki waved and walked off.
"Yes?"
"Please, I want to get to know you more!" she exclaimed while bowing.
"Uh please, stand up. If you don't mind me asking, why?"
"Sakura explained how you helped her so I'm very thankful."
"Oh, well. You're welcome. I'm (Y/n)."
"I'm Yomiku." I smiled at her.
"Sorry, but I have to go home."
"Okay, bye. See you next time." She ran off to find her friends. I began walking home.

~Some time later~

I had to go pick up Yuki. *sigh* I didn't mind but it's just that I thought Luka would do that.

"Oi, what are you doing here?" Hotsuma asked.
"I came to pick up Yuki."
"No one needs you here, I'll walk him home." He walked past me.
"(Y/n), I don't mind if you come along," Yuki said.
"No, it's fine. Hotsuma can look after you-"
"(Y/n)!" It was Yomiku.
"Hey."
"Are you walking home with Yuki-kun? Can I come along?"
"Uh..." "No," Hotsuma replied.
"Hotsuma, don't so rude. Of course you can," Yuki said. She smiled and walked alongside me.
"(Y/n), you seem depressed. Did something happen?" she asked with concern. I shook my head and smiled.
"No, everything's fine."
"Stop saying you're fine when you're not. Just go kill yourself," Hotsuma interrupted.
"I uh..."

I had no words to say. Yuki looked at me apologetically before trying to talk to Hotsuma about something else. The whole time we were walking back, Yomiku was asking questions and talking. I stayed quite most of the time.

"Alright, bye Yomiku."
"Bye (Y/n), it was nice talking to you." I waved as she left.

~Night time~

I looked at the stars as I was walking in the garden. *sigh* I didn't feel like doing anything.

"(Y/n), I'm gonna go to bed now. Good night," Flare exclaimed.
"Night."

She jumped through the window into our room. I went to a pond by the trees and took off my shoes before dipping my feet into the water. I laid down on the grass before I noticed something wet on my cheeks.

Rain? No...tears. Why was I crying? Father...please help me. I was lonely... Suddenly, I heard footsteps. Hotsuma ran past me and leaned against a nearby tree.

Did he not see me? Was it his parents again? I could tell from the expression on his face. I've lived with everyone long enough to notice these things.

"Hotsuma-"
"Leave me alone!" I winced at how harsh his tone was.
"I just wanted to talk-"
"Shut up! I don't need you!"
"Please, if you would just let me-"
"No!" I didn't listen to him and touched his forehead.
"What are you-"
"Checking your emotional state." He pushed my hand off.
"Mind your own business." I took a deep breath before speaking up.
"Listen to me, please! You always have this depressed, upset expression on your face and I'm tired of seeing people like that. I want to help but you guys keep pushing me away like I'm some kind of disease! And I get that. I want to help, please. Just let me..."
"How can you do that?" he asked, a little less harsh than before. Tears brimmed my eyes.
"Do what?"
"You know what kind of a past you had and yet you worry about others! Worry about yourself for once!"
"What's the point? I feel like dying." His eyes widened.
"Hotsuma, please. Let me help."

I took his hand before chanting a simple spell. A small heart-shaped flower appeared. I smiled even though I felt sad.

"You're kind, this shows it."
"What the hell? Let go!"
"No!"

A flame surrounded us. I didn't care that I was burning. He was kind...he really was kind. And all that time, I thought he was just a big meanie.

"Let go!"
"Never! I'm not leaving you until you're better."

Suddenly, the flames disappeared. I had burn marks all over but I didn't care. He had stopped it. A smile appeared on my face.

"What are you smiling for, you idiot? I almost killed you."
"You stopped the fire. That flower was right, you really were kind. You're not a monster, no matter what you think." His eyes widened as he looked away.
"I-I'm sorry! I didn't mean to do that! I guess I wasn't myself." I was probably swayed by my sadness. I stood up and pulled him up before leaving but his grip was tightening.
"Thanks," he muttered.
"You're welcome."