Chapter 19

(Y/n)'s POV

I sat down by the lake, having already left the conversation with Luka, Toko and Tsukumo. Suddenly, a projection of my father came into view.

"Father?"
"(Y/n), I'm afraid I cannot stay with you for long. I came because there were things I needed to tell you."
"Father, I-"
"I don't have enough time so please listen." He looked like he was about to cry, like he regretted doing something that he shouldn't have.
"I...I'm not actually your real father."
"What?! What are you saying? This can't be true. Tell me you're joking..."
"(Y/n), I'm sorry for lying to you this whole time. I just couldn't bring myself to tell you." Tears slid down my cheeks.
"You were alone on the streets when I found you. I sensed incredible power coming from you so I created your cherry blossom, so that you wouldn't be dragged into the darkness. When Reiga had heard of this, he ordered me to be killed. I had betrayed the demon kind. One afternoon, your mother visited me. She told me to look after you as if you were my own daughter, so I did. I never met her again. You were the only reason I continued living in that wasteland."
"But- I..." I didn't know what to say.
"I'm sorry, (Y/n). I always thought of you as my own daughter...I love you."
"No, don't go!"

He disappeared into thin air. All that was left was a note. I opened it.

Dear (Y/n),
I'm sorry for not telling you. I regret hurting you. I wish I could've seen you grow up and be there when you needed me, like a proper father. But I couldn't. Reiga didn't kill me for your sake when he finally captured me. I think he still harboured some feelings for his niece, even though you hated him. Well, if you got this message...it means that I am no longer with you. Don't forget that I'll always love you.
~Your father

No, this could not be happening. Why?! I cried out. Damn it! Father...why? Reiga, I will kill you no matter what.

Kuroto's POV

While I was playing a game with Yuki, a bright light suddenly appeared in the far side of the forest. (Y/n)?!

"Yuki, don't tell anyone that I've left."
"But-"

I ran off to find her. This wasn't the first time it happened. Damn it, what caused it this time? After a while of running I saw her crouching down in front of a lake with tears falling down.

"Father..." I sat down beside her.
"Kuroto, h-he died..." *sigh* I hugged her, attempting to soothe her but it just felt awkward.
"T-thank you."
"Tch, making me do sappy stuff like that."
"Sorry." I saw something in her hands. A note? She handed it to me. I read it.
"Oh, well I'm sure he would've wanted you to be happy."
"Remember that time when I first met you?" she asked half-heartedly.
"Yeah..."

~Flashback to 9 years ago~

"I don't have time to play." I ran out of the room and into the forest. Damn it! I tripped and fell over.
"I'm alone. I always have been and always will be."
"That's not true." A young girl about my age appeared in front of me and held out her hand.
"Tch, I don't need help." I stood up by myself and looked at her. She was wearing traditional clothes...weird.
"My name's (Y/n), what about you?"
"Kuroto."
"You live at Senshiro's grandfather's place? Is family nice?" she asked.
"What are you talking about?"
"I live at the Twilight Mansion." She smiled cutely at me.
"Loosen up a bit, the past is the past. They all care about you, you know. You're lucky that they do." I looked at her, confused.
"They're gonna be waiting for you, you should go back." I hesitantly walked away.
"You're late! What time is it?! Do you know how worried we were?!"
"You were waiting for me?"
"Grandfather and I were both waiting for you to come home," Senshiro replied.

I looked behind me and noticed (Y/n) standing in the shadows, then she suddenly disappeared into thin air. I rubbed my eyes.

"Come inside."

~Flashback end~

"Yeah, I thought you were a little strange."
"Sorry, I'm making you remember stuff you want to forget about."

(Y/n)'s POV

I stood up and looked at the sky. More tears must've fell as I felt something cold on my cheeks. He handed me a lollipop.

"Oh, so you don't want it? I might just have two for myself," he exclaimed. I just smiled and took it. What would I do without him? He wiped my tears away.
"Don't cry, your father won't be able to rest in peace if you do."
"Kuroto..." I couldn't help but cry on his shoulder. Father...I never even got to say 'I love you'.
"Oi, come on." He grabbed my hand and dragged me closer and closer to the residence.
"What are you doing?"
"You need some rest. You've been living in the woods for too long," he replied.
"No-"
"Oi, they won't hurt you." I reluctantly let him take me to the residence.
"Kuroto, why did you bring the trash home?" Senshiro asked, annoyed.
"Calm down, something happened." I looked away from the all stares.
"Kuroto-"
"Don't worry about them." We arrived in front of a room.
"Make yourself at home, it's my room."
"I can-"
"Oi, just get in." Before I could reply, he pushed me through the doorway.
"Hey!"
"That's what I get for inviting you to stay?"
"Thanks." He just smirked and grabbed a few blankets for himself.
"Go to sleep," he said.
"Okay okay, whatever you say." Seriously, he really did care about me, huh?