Chapter 5: A Prince in Danger

Chapter 5: A prince in danger

I am so exhausted.

My back hurts from transporting goods to the kitchen. Mr. Stone made sure that I would never be in his kitchen again or work again for that matter. Almost everyone I met in this castle is trying to end my life.

I exhaled heavily before lying on the bed to contemplate on my new found life as a sorb. It's only a minute before tears began falling from my eyes as I realized that I'm stuck in this room for the rest of my life. I tried to think positively into the matter and convinced myself that everything will be alright but staring at the ceiling somehow gave me an absurd idea. I'm gonna escape from this damned palace!

I stood up, grabbed my jacket and immediately went out of my room. I walked slowly into the hallway without making a sound while I wiped the tears from my eyes. There must be a way out here somewhere.

My eyes wandered on the forested part of the palace. Even if there's a wall there, I can walk myself up using a rope or a ladder without attracting a guard's attention. I just need to find a blind spot to execute my plan.

Mr. Stone never got the key to the store room back. He said, I'll be working there everyday anyway. I dig into my pocket for the keys and opened the door to the pantry. If there's no ladder here, I'll use the rope I saw a while ago. 

I tried to look for a ladder but sadly, no ladder is stored here. I'm forced to get the rope but it's better than nothing. It's easier to carry a rope anyway.

The forest might be 15 hectares wide with the walls extending towards the exit of town. Nevertheless I was still determined to escape even though I'll end up being lost.

Here goes nothing.

---

Only ten minutes has passed and I heard a faint sound of people running. Nobody should be here in the forest at this time of night. Or is it? I aligned myself with one of the trees to hide my body. The footsteps are now getting closer. Do they know that I am attempting to escape? Well that's what I thought until I heard some faint gunshots in  the distance. Shit. I never expected this. What the fuck is happening?

I heard two gunshots again. I tried to peek from the corner of the tree and was shocked to see the prince running. His hands on his stomach. He was definitely shot or he's having a severe case of diarrhea and that needs to find a bathroom quick. I chose believe the former 

Abort mission. Abort mission. Today might not be the perfect day for me to escape. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.  But my mind is now focused on the prince. Who is chasing him? And more importantly, Should I help him?

Fuck. Even though I loathed him, life is at stake here. He could die. My conscience will never be clean once I let this man die without doing something. But... I could die! Arrrgh! I hate this dillema.

I heard somebody coming. The hell with it. I tied the rope to a nearby branch and hid again on the opposite tree. I just hope this plan is going to work or else I'm dead.

I saw two people running towards my direction. I gulped when I saw them holding a gun. Oh god! Oh god! I firmly held the rope in my hands and recited a bit of prayer.

If I die before I sleep. Pray the Lord my soul to keep.

They are getting nearer and nearer. It was a good thing they are not running side by side because I can't take them both down. As the first man went past my trap, I finally pulled the rope for the second man to trip.

I heard him groan in pain on the ground while his companion continued to ran without ever noticing that his partner was down.That's when I went out of my hiding to snatch his gun away.