Chapter 30: Preparation

"I knew I shouldn't have given you that book." Greg nagged when he entered my room. "The party's gonna start soon."

"Give me a minute. I'm gonna finish this chapter first." I replied without looking at him.

"We don't have a minute." He snatched the book and tossed it to my bed.

"Hey! I need to find out whether or not the characters will have a happy ending!" I groaned.

"You're not even dressed yet!"

"I am. I am dressed!"

"Not properly. Come here." He grabbed my vest and started to untie my cravat that I quickly fixed a while ago.

"It's fine! No one will notice a disheveled cravat. All attention will be focused on you and your third favēre."

"Did I sense a tinge of jealousy there?" He concluded with a smile on his face.

"No!" I snorted. "I need to finish the chapter."

"Sure." He replied sarcastically as if I he knew I was lying. "And you didn't even fixed your hair like. You look like you just woke up." He remarked and tried to fix my hair with his hands.

"You don't need to do that!" I protested because I felt tingly and thrilled at the same time. I removed his hand and fixed my hair with my own hands.

All his touching is making me queasy and he's too close to me it's making me uncomfortable.

"You're too close. Mind stepping back a little?" I complained. I can actually smell his minty breath.

"What if I'm too close? I'm I troubling you?" He asked with his intense eyes.

"Yes!" I hissed.

"In what way am I bothering you? Is your heart beating very loudly? Do you feel as if something's clawing out on your chest? Cause if you do?  We must be feeling the same way."

"I don't know what your talking about." I averted my gaze. Damn. He always have to make things awkward.

"You love me." He argued. He snatched my hand and took it to his chest. "Do you feel that? It's like that when I'm with you." I can actually feel the rapid beating of his heart.

It's a bummer I feel the same.

"That could mean anything. You might be furious with me or that can indicate a serious heart ailment." I reasoned out. This is not a right time for a confrontation.

"Then you must be angry with me." He stated as he slipped his thumb on my pulse to sense its movement.

"Maybe that's it. We're mad at each other that's why we can't stand to be near each other." Why do I feel like I'm cornered?

"No we don't. We're madly in love with each other." He smiled as if he was sure of his statement.

"That's not true your highness. May I remind you that you're getting married and that you need to choose the last of your trifecta and very soon you'll be marrying one of those girls."

"Just say the words and I'll marry you instead." He responded with conviction.

"Are you insane?" I scoffed. I took the initiative to step away from him.

"No. I am very much sane." He tried to swallow the space between us again.

"Go away!" I shooed him away like he has this contagious disease.

A knock was heard on the door.

"Your highness? Your father is waiting." Said by the voice behind the door. I felt instant relief and thanked the heavens above.

"You. Me. We're not done yet." He said and went out to see his father.

------

Sooo... I have decided to update in short chapters starting today. Please don't be mad because I am having some mental block right now and now I lost all my creative juices. 😭 Man I'm getting anxious whenever I update.

Show some love by voting and leaving a comment on this story. Follow me for updates. ☺