Chapter 13: Darkness and Isolation

Chapter 13: Darkness and isolation

"This is beautiful!" I exclaimed at the beauty of the Royal Garden. The grasses were well maintained and the flowers were arranged in an aesthetic manner.

"I need to sit down." Prince Greg said and I helped him take a seat on al bench located near a statue.

"Does is it hurt so bad?" I asked him because all the time we were walking he was clutching his stomach.

"What if I'll shoot you in the gut and tell me if it hurts?" There he goes again.

"Gee. I'm sorry for being nice but you're a dick and you should know that." I focused my gaze on the statue in front of us. I didn't want to face some ungrateful bastard.

I heard him blow some air as if lost in some argument. "Fine. I'm sorry but yeah. It hurts like hell."

Wait a minute. Did he jusy say sorry? The almighty prince said sorry? Yeah he should be sorry for his sorry ass.

I turned around to face him and I couldn't help myself but smile. Make the prince say sorry: Achievement unlocked!

"What? You're starting to creep me out." He grumbled.

"Nothing." I replied and returned my gaze on the statue.

"Who's that?" I asked him as I point my finger on the statue of someone riding a horse.

"My grandfather. He's war hero that's why they built him that sculpture to commemorate his bravery." He replied boredly rather than being proud.

"Do war happens here in your abode?" I questioned out of the blue.

"Seldom. We never had a war 50 years ago. Why do you ask?"

"You family is great leader then. The reason we have to move here in Chesterheimr is because of war and famine. We were lucky enough to cross the border and to become a citizen here. But I guess that comes with a price that's why I'm here."

Silence came making the scene awkward.

"Do you miss your family?" He asked.

"Yeah. I sure do." I replied.

Again. Silence. The absence of sound made us really focus on the surrounding including the sound of something pounding.

"What's that?" Greg said and immediately stood to investigate the sound. I just followed him until we stopped in front of a leafy wall.

"What's with all the fuss?" I inquired but all I got was a shush from him.

"Promise me you'll keep this as a secret." He whispered in my ear and his warm breath sure made me shiver.

He lifted a bunch of leaves then suddenly disappeared in a dark cavity.

"Your highness?" I whispered but something pulled me into the darkness that ultimately made me scream but no sound was heard because somebody covered my mouth.

"It's me you idiot." He murmured. His body was so close that I'm no longer sure if the pounding I hear is coming from my chest.

I lightly boxed his arm as a response.

There was a hollow and dark walkway inside the wall. I wonder if people doesn't know something about this that the prince told me to keep it as a secret.

He began to walk and signaled me to follow him. I let my fingers slide along the cold hard wall to guide myself. It felt like eternity until we reached a lighted hallway. The pounding is now clearer and I am definitely scared on what we'll find out next. Then the pounding stopped.

Greg also stopped in his tracks and leaned himself to the wal which I also did.

"Do you hear that?" We heard some faint voices not from afar.

"What?" His companion asked annoyed.

"Something. I think someone else is here."

"I hear nothing."

Oh shit. It seems like we ran into trouble again. Greg motioned me to keep quiet and so I shut my mouth to never make a sound. I don't want to die. Not now. 

"Let's just make this quick before someone else will notice."

"But I swear I heard something."

"It's probably nothing."

Everything was going well until I felt something crawl on my neck. Shit. shit. shit. I started to nudge the prince but he ignored my plea and beckoned me to keep quiet.

It must be a centipede or something because I can feel that It got so many legs! I tried my best to remain calm and prayed that it would leave me alone but I started to panic once it was on its way to my undershirt.

And that's when all hell broke loose.

"Shit. We gotta get out of here!" Someone said. Greg looked at me with his sharp eyes and he sure is furious. He tried to chase the burglars, I suppose, but then all the lights in the vicinity was shut off.

"Your Highness wait!" I was left alone here in the darkness without a clue to where I am. Shit. I'm scared shitless. I extended my arm to feel the walls of this dark  passageway to make myself a little less frightened. The darkness always scared me. You'll never know what will surprise you next. An insect, a murderer, a monster or even death itself.

"Your higness? Your highness?" I tried to call the prince but no one was answering. He might've gone so far in chasing the burglars or else... Or else they already killed him! And I'm next! Being alone here in the darkness never made it better. My thoughts and imaginary mind is showing me horrific scenarios of what might happen to me.

I never made a sound anymore. I decided to keep my mouth shut or else somebody might know that the prince has a company. I thought about going back to where we entered but my conscience was bothering me to find the prince. Besides it's my job to protect him.

I walked slowly hoping to find an exit. Five minutes have passed and still no sign of the prince. Now I find myself in the same situation when I first saved him. The face of danger is making my adrenaline work again.

And now I'm really worried about the prince, and of course for myself. It's been a long time since I heard a sound in this dungeon. If I'll be stucked here without someone knowing I might die here without finding the exit.

I suddenly froze when my fingers touched something that feels like torso of a man. I struggled so hard when it grabbed my arm and wrapped his arms around my body.

"Let me go! Please!" The attacker sure is strong and I've never been so afraid of death this time.

"It's me dumbass! It's me." I immediately relaxed when I heard his familiar voice. My impulse made me wrap my arms around the man that I also despise.

"You bitch! You scared the shit out of me!" I didn't know what made me cry this time. Is it because I was so scared? Is it because I was so relieved? or is it because I was so happy to know that he's back?

"It's alright kid. I'm here now." He said in an assuring manner. It's surprising to know that the cunning prince took the initiative to comfort me and also wrap his arms around me. I can't see his reaction and I didn't know what he's thinking but I don't care cause one thing is certain. I'm glad that he's finally back.

----

Enjoying reading this story? Vote. Comment and follow me. I also recommend you to read my other story entitled The Mysterious Mr. Black. Thanks.