Chapter 26: The Wounded Captain

It's been a week since the attack. The palace held a tribute for all the victims of the assault. Seeing how their families cry made me vowed to find that traitor and make him pay.

Now the place is surrounded by the army reserves. A portion of the palace was damaged and is now under renovation.

And then I remembered Mattheo. I didn't see him for the week and I forgot to thank him for saving my ass back there. I tried to find him on the WAR room but he isn't there so I tried looking for him at his room.

I heard something thrown inside and I immediately opened the door to his room and found him on a sour mood. His right arm was wrapped with bandage and I saw a spoon near the door and it took me a second to realize what's happening.

I picked up the spoon and made my way to his bed.

"May I help you?" I asked even though the obvious answer was yes.

"Them bastards injured my dominant arm." He replied in a repulsive manner. I took his breakfast and scooped some food. Even though he didn't explicitly say that he needs my help I took the initiative to feed him. He's just ashamed to admit weakness.

"Open your mouth and say Aahh."

"I'm not a child." He responded.

"Sure you do. But how else would you eat?" I asked.

"Watch me." He replied smugly and took the spoon from my hand and slowly ate its contents due to his shaking hands. Most of its contents fell back to his plate.

"For Christ's sake give me that!" I snatched the spoon from his hands because I can no longer watch the foods go into waste.

He didn't argue any more but he hesitated until he opened his mouth to accept the food that I offered.

"See? It's not that bad?"

He looked up and side as if he was contemplating if this was a bad idea or not.

"Uhhhhh. Eehh."

"Eh?"

"So-so."

"Whatever you say. Uhhm. You see I just wanted to thank you for saving my life back there." I continued to feed him while I babbled myself to death.

"You might think that I'm an incompetent guard. Am I?" I asked once I realized that I didn't do much during the attack except to hide with the royal family.

"As a matter of fact yes. It's a miracle the prince survived" he replied.

"Is that a joke or you're just that harsh?"

"What do you think?"

"I don't know. I know you don't joke so I'll just take that as a scolding."

"It's our job to protect them." He responded.

"As a matter of fact it was the prince who protected me during the attack."

"The prince huh? Are you two close or something?" He suddenly asked that it completely shut my oral orifice tight.

"No we are not. Psssh. What are you saying? That's crazy! The prince? Haha No, we are not close." And suddenly I was grasping for words.

"You could've said no. I assume there's something between you two." He pressed.

"No. Nothing's. Between. Us." I almost sounded robotic trying to sound natural.

"Oh. Is that so? Then why is your face totally red?"

"Nothing! The temperature's just high in your room." I didn't want to tell him what happened that night the prince went missing.

"All right if you say so. But I've never seen the prince care so much about his Gardein. I've never seen him mourn over the death of his last guardian. We royal guards are expendable, easily replaced and not worth saving, So I just wanted to know what's special about you-"

"Ah!" I covered his mouth with my hand to stop him from further pressuring me. "I just wanted you to eat. Nothing more. Nothing else." I scooped some food continued to feed him.

"You're a good man Mattheo. And we're not expendable as you think. You save lives, mine and the others, and I wanted to thank you for that." I smiled and held his wrist as a sign of sincereness.

I suddenly felt that someone was watching us and I turned around to see who it is but no one was there.

That's weird. I'm certain someone was there.