Chapter 34: Spilling the Beans

(I'm afraid this will be a short chapter. I feel like I should edit this part but I can't find the strength to edit this without gagging lol xD)

Chapter 34: Spilling the Beans

  "It is a curious thing, the death of a loved one. We all know that our time in this world is limited, and that eventually all of us will end up underneath some sheet, never to wake up. And yet it is always a surprise when it happens to someone we know. It is like walking up the stairs to your bedroom in the dark, and thinking there is one more stair than there is. Your foot falls down, through the air, and there is a sickly moment of dark surprise as you try and readjust the way you thought of things."    

I put down the book I was reading. My eyes are now tired from reading and crying. It's the best I can do in this situation. 

Prince Gregory is yet to wake. It's been two days since the incident and he's still missing his consciousness. I stroked his hand in an attempt to wake him up before closing my tired eyes holding his hand.

I really thought he was going to die in my arms but luckily help came faster than I imagined. I'm exhausted yet I can't find myself to sleep. I'm afraid that the moment I close my eyes he wouldn't be there anymore. I still have nightmares where there is blood and violence and death. Yes, the suspect was dead and they're tracking down his allies; but the thought of losing someone close to me is giving me the terrors I have vanquished a long time ago when I witnessed the death of my friend.

This is hopeless. I stood up and decided to go near the window. As I stare upon the gleaming silver orb in the sky, there's only one wish on my mind: That my prince will soon be alright. Ha! We're getting a bit sappy aren't I? Realizing that it was stupid to wish upon a celestial body, I decided to get back on my seat.

"I really wish you'll wake up soon." I whispered. 

Not a moment before I decided to sleep, I heard someone groaning. I opened my eyes and immediately attended to his aid. Is it possible that he made that sound? 

"Gregory? Can you hear me?" I start to brush his hair as a means of calming him down. It took him a minute to completely open his eyes. My heart jumped in excitement. He's awake! My hero is now awake! (Ugh. I'm becoming cheesy again.)

"Water..." was the only thing he managed to say and I instantly granted his request. Getting him up was another matter since he was wincing and moaning in pain. Once he was finally settled, I gave him the glass of water I just filled. Slowly he drank until he doesn't want no more. 

The sleepless grumpy persona of mine is now gone. I'm just too glad that he's back. I took the glass in his hands and settled beside him. The way we stare at each other proves that we missed one another.

"So I have given this a lot of thought for the couple of days and I think I am now ready to say..." I took a deep breathe and decided to go with my guts this time. 

"I love you."

There I said it! And it feels great. I really do love him even though he has his flaws. A smile instantly forms on his face.

"Do you really mean it or are you saying that because you pity me?" he asks me.

"If there's one thing that you said was right, it was when you said that I love you." I assured him.

"That's your conscience talking. I just saved your life." 

"No. I love you. I really do love you." Eck. This getting a little bit to gooey and mushy now. I just decided to plant a kiss him on his lips before he could even utter a word.

"Is that even a kiss?" Greg chuckled as he holds his chest in pain. He's right. It was just a peck on the lips.

"Maybe..." I replied impishly.

"Come here." he ordered in his rough voice.

I followed his command as he tried his best to reach for the back of my head. Then there was this kiss, the only difference is that I'm the one who initiated first. And this time I'm an active participant. His mouth was warm and his lips was soft and sweet. His tender kisses was filled filled with passion and longing and I did my best reciprocate. It was getting deeper now as we caress each other. After a minute, we found ourselves out of breath and the moment that our eyes met we started laughing.

"So does that mean that I get to keep my job?" I can't seem to stop myself from smiling and it's basically his fault. 

"Only if you promise to be with me forever." he responded. I slid my fingers in his and tightened them as I rest my head on his shoulder.

"As long as you promise to be there too."