chapter 10

I heard pots making noises in the kitchen.

That was what woke me up on this more or less uneventful Sunday.

Uneventful as in boring. I didn't have any plans and thought about staying in bed all day and watching reruns of Desperate Housewives. That show taught me more than school ever will.

Speaking of school... I still had an essay to write.

I groaned in annoyance and threw my blanket aside. Time to get up.

My eyes flickered to my alarm clock. It was only 10am. Who the hell was awake at 10am? And why the fuck couldn't that person be quiet?

My footsteps very barely audible as I walked across the cold ground to our kitchen, my feet bare and my pajama practically see-through.

"Mornin'," I murmured, my voice still thick of sleep.

"Hey Zo," my sister greeted me, way too happy this early in the morning. She held a pot in her hands and put it in our cupboard. The dishwasher was left open, clean dishes ready to be packed away. That was what woke me up then.

I went over to help her. In a matter of minutes we put everything in the right place and sat down at our big kitchen table. Seriously, that table was big enough to hold 10 people.

My eyes widened at the sight of pancakes, strawberries, bacon and scrambled eggs. The toaster was on the counter and my favorite jam, strawberry, was on the table as well.

"What crime did you commit?" I asked, highly alert.

Phoebe's face fell. "I thought you could need this after your adventurous night," she said, not meeting my eyes.

"About that," I began but Phoebe interrupted me. "You left your donuts at the cinema but I brought them home! Yay!"

"Donuts?" I asked, momentary forgetting the problem on hand. "Oh right!" I grinned, remembering that I complained to Harry about forgetting the donuts yesterday.

My sister sighed in relief. She tugged her brown hair behind her ears. "So, you're not mad?"

"For tagging me along to the cinema and setting up a blind date with Harry?"

"Yeah..."
"I would give you hell for it but I'm quite tired and hungry and I actually had a good time."
"Wait, what?" Phoebe's brown-green eyes looked at me, slightly confused. "Did you just say you had a good time?"
"I'm not going to repeat it, sissy," I shrugged, filling scrambled eggs and bacon on my plate before I made my way over to the toaster. Phoebe and I waited in silence for the toast to finish.

I nearly jumped three feet in the air when it bounced out of the toaster, making a little pang.

Phoebe laughed, her eyes shining with amusement.

I sat back down at the table when another thought accrued me. "Are mom and dad still asleep?"

"Nope," Phoebe replied. "They're on their way to Eric and Nicole's."

Eric was my dad's brother. Their house was two hours away.

"So... we're all alone today then?"

Phoebe nodded. We finished our breakfast in silence and quickly cleaned the table.

I made my way over to the bathroom, taking a quick shower. Although it was supposed to be an uneventful day, I didn't dare to look down-and-out. I applied my usual amount of make-up and covered my lashes in black color. I went for the "natural look", not using any eyeliner. At least I thought that's what you'd call "natural".