chapter 15

"Why did Sally fall off the swings?" Wrong topic choice. But Harry didn't know.

"Why?"
"Because she had no arms!" It has been twenty minutes since Harry started telling jokes. "Knock knock."

Here we go again. "Who's there?" I asked, preparing for a bad answer. His knock knock jokes weren't funny at all but they made me laugh anyway.

"Not Sally!" Harry managed to say before he burst out laughing.

His reaction to his own jokes was way funnier than the jokes themselves. His lips were carved into a smile, his dimples were clearly visible on both sides and his eyes sparkled with humor.

"Harry..." I managed to say in a serious tone before I joined him in his laughing fit.

We enjoyed our food in comfortable silence. Dinner was over all too soon and I made up an excuse so Harry would take me home. I could see the protest in his eyes but he kept quiet. I wasn't entirely sure what I said that made him mad but he seemed off on the drive home. My attempts at trying to keep up conversation failed and he barely managed to force a smile when I cracked a joke. There was an odd atmosphere in the car and I was reminded of the night before.

Either he was on his period or bipolar. I set for the latter one for obvious reasons.

"Thank you for tonight, Harry," I said with a smile. I waited for a few seconds but all I got was a nod in my direction and a simple "Good night."

Somehow, this made me angry.

I stormed into Phoebe's room and shut the door behind me with a loud pang.

"Jesus, Zo!" Phoebe yelped, losing grip of the book in her hands which landed on the ground, closing shut before Phoebe had a chance to save the page she was on. Her glare was one of those looks that would kill you if they could.

"So, your date wasn't good?" she asked in a nonchalant tone.

"Date?" I asked, distracted for a second.

"Yeah, with Harry. Mom told me about it." Her statement got me upset again within 3.5 seconds.

"It wasn't a fucking date! I honestly thought we were friends or something but he's a little prick! He ignored me yesterday and then he-" I stopped myself, not wanting to explain the incident. Instead, I recollected my thoughts and began again. "He ran into me today at the mall and asked me to come to Niall's. Mom agreed for me and I just thought, okay. I went along but we didn't go to Niall. -Surprise! We went out for dinner and it was all fun and everything but suddenly he acted like a 7-year-old that's been told that her favorite doll died and I just didn't get wh-"

"Zoey, breathe," my sister interjected. "You sound like you're in middle school and just saw your crush kissing your best friend."

I poked my tongue out at her. "Not true."

"Is too."

"No, go away."

"It's my room. If you don't wanna talk to me, leave," she fired back with a smug smile on her lips.

"Fine," I snapped, leaving her room, slamming the door shut behind me.

I angrily stormed to the stairs but stopped right at the top of them and turned around.

Without knocking, I walked right back into Phoebe's room. "No, it's not. It's your fault!"

"What's my fault?"

"Harry."

"I'm not his mom."

"What?"

"Never mind."