chapter 23

Monday morning.

Alone the thought of it was enough to make me crawl back under the safe shield of my warm blankets.

They have accepted me as their own. I would lose their trust if I left yet again. Like every other morning. One day they wouldn’t accept me back, I knew it deep down in my guts.

“One more minute,” I mumbled to myself before I closed my eyes again and instantly continued the dream about Ian Somerhalder I had before I’ve been brutally snatched away from it.

I’ll be yours if you’ll be mine,” he whispered against my lips.

I shuddered from the almost-touch. “I will be yours.” Four simple words, spoken with so much power.

Then let us-“

Beep. Beep. Beep.

I groaned. I couldn’t be the only one who set different alarm clocks just in case I would fall back asleep. Like I usually did.

That was what you’d get for staying up late. Maybe, just maybe I shouldn’t have googled “can you hold monkeys as pets in the US?”

A simple “yes” or “no” would have been enough but things were never simple for me. Apparently, you could hold monkeys as pets but they weren’t what they seemed to be. Kind of like that classy bitch in high school that appeared friendly and helpful until she conniving back-stabbed you.

My third alarm clock went off, informing me that it now really was the time to get up or else I would be running late. Again.

Ugh, I hate Monday mornings.

No, I hate mornings in general.

With a final groan, I lifted myself up and padded to my bathroom. My eyes slowly adjusted to the crude light and I stripped my pajamas off before walking towards the shower. I forgot to lock the door but trusted my family enough to not walk in.

The hot water expanded my tense back muscles and washed away the last sleepiness in my bones. The strawberry scent of my shower gel eased my mind and the shampoo tangled my hair. I let it all wash down drain with hot and cold water. I once read it was good for shiny hair. Who knew?

It didn’t take long until I finished, stepping out into the damp air. The mirror was steamed up and I opened a window while I untangled my hair. Knots definitely made my life harder.

After a few minutes of fighting with my unwillingly hair, I succeeded and made a little victory dance. The rest of my daily get-ready routine passed by without interruption and before long, I found myself in the kitchen, hastily eating a bowl of cereals.

“Either you’re starving or in a hurry,” my mom joked.

“Both,” I honestly replied.

She blew me a kiss and left the house, taking the car with her. God bless Lisa and her car. And the fact that my house was on her way to college.

We recently researched apartment-sharing communities. Let’s just say we couldn’t afford them for now.

That being said, we were stuck with our parents for at least another year.

A car honked outside and I rushed to put on my shows and leave the house, locking the door behind me. Lisa awaited me and her look told me she was about to lecture me. Or something alike.

“Hey Liss,” I greeted her, waving my hand in the empty air.

“Zoey,” she simply stated, nodding her head my way without making eye contact. Oh-oh.