chapter 21

My lungs burned and a sharp pain rushed its way through my chest. My insides were on fire and my heart beat twice as fast. The hyperventilated pulsate of my chest was ominous and dark spots danced through my vision.

When in the face of danger, you had three options: to freeze, to run or to fight.

My mind froze but my legs untangled themselves and pushed me out of the kart, crossing the track in seconds before moving away, out of sight. I could hear Phoebe and Lisa calling my name but I kept on running, not able to stop my feet from moving.

Once I ducked behind a big grey wall that had cracks on the surface, I stopped and caught my breath. The aggravating smell benumbed my nose. I felt like I have just run a marathon, my throat was in a desperate need for water. I could feel my heart pulse in a quicker pace than usual and I yearned for it to calm down.

Heavy footsteps sounded from afar, stepping closer, moving in my direction.

My eyes scanned my surroundings and I longed for my bed where I knew I'd be safe.

The footsteps were only a shot away and my wheezing was in danger of giving me away.

I closed my eyes, afraid of what I would see. However, my brain didn't work like a kid's one. I knew it wasn't as easy as "I can't see anyone so no one can see me." I was exposed and I haven't felt this way for barely two years now. The short encounter in the supermarket felt like ages ago and I preferred to believe that my mind had played a trick on me then. But not this time.

A strong hand tugged at my shoulder, making me yelp out in shock.

He found me.

"Zoey?" The deep husky voice addressing me wasn't his voice.

Frost blindsided me, replacing the burning feeling.

"Are you okay?" The voice was hesitant, not sure how to react to my breakdown.

I didn't dare to move, afraid of the tears and thoughts that could escape. My strong and confident appearance had faltered but I had the urge to-

My train of thoughts came to an abrupt stop when strong arms pulled me into a warm embrace. I pushed my face into Harry's chest and only realized I was crying when my hot tears wetted his shirt. I wrapped my arms around his lean torso, pulling him as close as physically possible.

Harry's arms hung around my shoulders and one of his large hand stroked my hair, calming me. He whispered soothing words in my ear, not really knowing what to say.

I didn't know for how long we stood like this, our worlds not spinning.

Before long, my breath returned to normal and the tears stopped but never once did Harry's hold on me loosen.

Fatigue overwhelmed me. I didn't trust my voice yet so I just tugged at Harry's shirt, motioning for him to sit down with me. He understood what I required and sat down, his back to the dirty wall but he didn't even flinch. He took my, in comparison small, hand in his and gently pulled me down, making me sit between his legs. My back was pressed into his chest and his legs imprisoned me. His arms wrapped around me once more, this time around my waist. His arms hung in front of my tummy and I placed my arms over his, relaxing slightly.

A wave of security overran me. Harry kept quiet, either not knowing what to do or waiting for me to be ready to talk. I wasn't sure which one it was but for now I enjoyed the silence.

No one came after us, we were left in utter silence.

After a few minutes, I cleared my throat in an attempt to test my voice. The confirming noise rang out but I couldn't find the words to say.