(chapter) unknown

I sat on the edge of Maddy's bed and waited for her to come back from the bathroom. I was deciding what kind of college I wanted to go to. I've always been a fan of art, but I don't want to go too far from home, too far from Brody, and the rest of my friends too.

"Hey Emma, sorry about that. I've been having some-problems." She said, looking away from me. 

"Um, okay. So, what do you want to do now?" I asked, trying to change the subject before it got anymore awkward then it already was. 

"Uh, we can go make some hot chocolate and sit on the back porch to watch the stars." She smiled, her eyes hopeful. 

"Sure!" I chirped, the idea of sipping hot chocolate and watching the stars twinkle sounded amazing. 

***

The twinkling stars reminded me of the night Brody and I layed under the stars after that almost-perfect date, every star reminding me of the sparkle in his eyes. 

"You okay?" Asked Maddy, looking over at me. 

"Yeah, just thinking about somebody." I replied, and she looked at me with an expression I couldn't quite read. 

"Brody?" She questioned, and I hesitated before nodding. 

"I think you two make a cute couple, despite anything the others have to say about it." She smiled, and I returned it. 

"Thank you, it means a lot that someone can finally just be happy for us and not spitting on the ground we walk on." I laughed, but there was so much truth in what I said it made me kind of sick. 

"Yeah. I don't get it. Back in Freshman year, I was dating the captain of the football team, and I got so many daily texts from people, telling me I was ugly, and a horrible witch, and told me that I didn't deserve someone as amazing as him. In the end, he ended up giving into what everyone was saying, and left me in the dust. About a week ago, he said he wanted to try again, but I told him I was still choking up water from the last time he let me drown. Granted, I got that off of the internet, but he didn't know that." She smiled crookedly as her eyes started to turn pink and they started to water. 

I put my hand on her shoulder as an attempt to comfort her, but I'm not sure it really helped her. 

"So, do you think there's ever a chance you two will get back together?" I inquired, hoping I wasn't digging too deep into her personal life. 

"I don't know, I kind of want to. My feelings for him have never really vanished, but at the same time, if he was willing to quit the relationship after only a little bit of fighting for me, and wait for years to want to come back, then is he worth it?" She wondered aloud. 

I tried to think of something to say, but I couldn't think of anything reassuring enough. 

She started to massage her temples in a circular motion while thinking.

"Why don't we enjoy the rest of the night, and not think about boys." I suggested, and she smiled genuinely. 

"That sounds like a great idea!"

***

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, another one will hopefully be out soon.