Chapter 2: Emma

The snow was coming down in heavy clumps as it turned the asphalt into a pristine white fluff that crunched under every step Brett took. He had started to hate the sound of the crunching as he got older, to the point that it made him cringe and bite his lip as he fought back his intention to shiver.

As he walked, his black hoodie was quickly becoming white, as he finally made it to the ramp of the train station platform. Just like any other day the platform was littered with souls waiting for the iron beast to disperse them across the city. Brett would soon be one of them, but first, he needed to be quick on his feet. He had become a master at maneuvering his body around crowds since high school had started. Approaching the first group of people he twisted and contorted his body to easily slip past everyone without being noticed. Even his backpack that dangled on one shoulder stuck to his back like a strapped on parachute.

Some people watched as this spectacle occurred, while Brett didn't give it much thought however as he quickly rushed past them, avoiding eye contact with everyone. He didn't know why but he was always self-conscious of people seeing his eye's even though he had been complimented on them time and time again. His eyes were a deep blue but would sometimes, brighten up to teal, but the best part was all the girls loved them, he just wasn't great at taking a compliment.

Finally making it to his usual spot that was in the dead-centre of the platform, again it was like any other morning, empty. Over the last couple of years, Brett had realized that the cities train system actually had a science to it. With all the stops on the train line and the doors being on either side to accommodate the interchanging platforms. He had come to the conclusion that the middle train car was the most ideal.

Most people were attracted to the front car because it meant walking less, while others went to the farthest car because they figured other people wouldn't want to walk that far, but then wouldn't realize that at some of the stations the back car was the front car. The middle, however, was like the ugly duckling of the family, it was generally emptier than the rest of the train while also providing accommodating leg room and the freedom to not stand shoulder to shoulder with others. Cluing back into reality, The snow had consumed the sky above as an unsettling fog rolled in making it hard to see twenty feet in front of him, as he leaned up against the concrete wall raising one leg and keeping his foot flat on the concrete surface as he pulled out his phone. Looking at the time, he had an hour before his first class, and the feeling of dread only started to escalate.

Sliding it back into his pocket as the sound of a train roared in the distance. Its red light was shining through the fog as its wheels suddenly squealed on the tracks. In a heartbeat, the three-car light rail train pulled up to the station, still rather empty as the middle car stopped where Brett was leaning up against the wall. Brett watched for a moment before he pushed off the concrete wall with his foot, which helped him gain some momentum as he headed for the train door. A couple people had already started pooling on either side of the door as Brett got there but waited for everyone else to enter until he was the last one in.

As if demonstrating that he had done this before, he entered the train and immediately went to the side as he pressed his back against an upright wall in the entrance of the train, before he let the backpack fall from his shoulder and into his hand, and finished the motion by swinging it between his legs.

At that moment the low hum of the electrical engine started up, and the train slowly departed from the platform. It was the calmest moment of the day as Brett stared out at the buildings rushing past the train in the night until he leaned his head back against the wall and unknowingly closed his eyes, as the train rocked back and forth as he slowly started to fall asleep.

With his eyes closed, Brett lost track of where the train was until the automated voice filled the train car and spoke to the passengers.

"Next stop city centre station."

Hearing those words caused Brett to open his eyes before he turned to face the buildings passing outside once more, as he adjusted his position and grabbed onto the vertical handrail. When he was finally close enough, he got his backpack back onto his left shoulder as the train pulled into the station when the driver suddenly hit the brakes hard as everyone in the train stumbled forward or fell to the ground. Supporting himself, Brett managed to stay upright, before falling back against the wall and his backpack absorbed most of the impact until he felt someone grab onto him, their nails were digging into his arm through the hoodies sleeve.

When he looked down to see who exactly had hit him, he saw the top of a girl's head. A portion of her shimmering blonde hair was tied back in a messy ponytail while the remaining hair was draped around either side of her head waving back and forth in rhythm with the train. Then she lifted her head, and her tantalizing green eyes met his.

"Emma?"

Looking down at the girl, he realized it was his neighbour and the girl who used to be a really close friend. She was the first girl Brett had ever really fallen for, and admitted it to her during a game of truth or dare, but seeing it as a game she didn't take it seriously, and nothing ever came of it. At most, there was a playful I love you too, but he never felt like she was serious. After that, they slowly started drifting further apart until they were mere acquaintances. That didn't matter now though as her hands were clutching onto his arm, as he obliviously put his arms around her as if he was hugging her.

"Hey."

Her voice was weak and shaky, and it was clear to Brett that she was embarrassed. However, the train finally came to a full stop as Emma regained her balance and stood up.

"Thanks for catching me."

She said with a slight smile on her face, while her cheeks remained red.

"Not like I had much choice, now did I," He laughed off Emma's remark as she started to giggle with him as he tried to lighten the mood. "So where you there the whole time?"

She pressed the turned off button to open the train doors rapidly, and looked back at Brett.

"No just once we got closer to the stop, but you looked like you were sleeping, so I didn't want to wake you."

"Well I wasn't sleeping, just waiting for the inevitable y'know."

Brett was now looking at the profile of her face as she impatiently waited for the door to turn on. The flame that Brett once felt for her was still there as he could see the perfect outline of her face through the blonde curtain that was her hair. Brett always wondered what if, and his heart would beat uncontrollably as he looked at her. To him she was perfect, yet he was just another run of the mill boy that would never get the chance to hold her hand or take her to the graduation dance at the end of the year. To say the least, he was just another hopeless romantic.

"Yea I feel ya."

She responded as Brett snapped back into reality forgetting that he had said something to her. However before he could say anything to her, the green light on the door lit up as Emma pressed it, and the doors started to part from each other, Emma was the first one out and looked back at Brett, who had literally just ejected himself out of the train car after being squished by two other passengers.

Still fidgeting with his backpack, he looked up at Emma who had a cheerful grin on her face as she watched him struggle.

"Have a good day, Brett!"

She yelled before she turned around to go into the station, while Brett dumbly waved before he finally managed to get his backpack free, then stood there and watched as Emma walked up the stairs of the train station. His heart was racing as he watched her, his body now completely warm as well, even though the snow had started to soak through his hoodie. Maybe today will be a good day after all. He thought before following Emma's lead and walked to the entrance of the train station.