Chapter 7: Realization

Continuing his day, Brett followed his schedule like a ritual. He never broke away from it in fear that Tori would find out. Around him the other students would whisper how and when they were going to skip their classes, as Brett struggled to understand it.

He understood having freedom, but why did everyone want to leave. He hated it too, the repetitiveness of the classes, and how the teachers would use a monotone voice to describe the lesson, there was nothing to enjoy. Yet Brett continued to go without hesitation in fear of disappointing his mother.

Finally the bell rang as the first half of his day had finally ended. Other then meeting Bailey nothing exciting happened just the same old things day in and day out. Now though it was time for lunch, for freedom to get out of this hell just for a minute to get a sweet refreshing breath of fresh air.

Not waiting he already had his stuff packed up as he stood up from the desk, in the white walled mundane room that made them feel insane and headed out the door into the hallway. There was never enough time at lunch as Brett blazed a path straight for the cafeteria. Looking to the usual table, The Republic was already starting to form.

He took a seat at the table. On his one side was Don, engulfed in a book he didn't even notice Brett sat down beside him. In front of him to his right was Jakob. He was staring out at the crowd trying to get a group of attractive girls attention, only to have them laugh and turn away to giggle in their inner circle. Again Brett wasn't noticed.

Alec was the next to show up taking a seat in front of Brett and on the left. he never talked to anyone unless he was asked a question directly as he sat down and opened a textbook. There was only two chairs left one to Brett's right and one directly in front of him. The group was quiet yet peaceful as a flirtatious voice cut through the air.

"Hey, Boys."

Mike and Nielsen were the last to arrive to the group. Nielsen took the seat in front of Brett reaching out in front of him trying to touch Brett's hand, causing Brett to pull his hands away. Mike on the other hand sat down beside Brett and watched it all play out.

They were burning daylight, as Nielsen controlled the group bouncing between people, not letting them finish a sentence as Mike finally leaned over to Brett.

"Hey man, want to go for a walk."

Brett turned to look at him, he was wide eyed gesturing to get out of there as they both new Nielsen's barrage of questions and comments wouldn't be ending anytime soon.

"Yea sure."

The two stood up, Brett threw his backpack over his one shoulder, with Mike joined him a few moments later. The boys started walking away from the group as a familiar voice traveled through the air.

"Bye boys."

Nielsen was waving stupidly at them, as Brett and Mike both gave him a quick wave and departed from the group.

The two boys walked down the hallway, other students were littered about sitting next to their lockers, eating their lunch alone or with one of their friends, however no matter how you looked at it, it was a hallway of outcasts.

Always keeping an eye out for people he knew Brett scanned the hallway of kids to see if anyone new had joined their ranks. Everything seemed normal as they finally reached the door leading to the outside world. A gust of wind blew past Brett triggering him to look down the staircase that was right beside him, making out a group of kids sitting on the landing of the stairwell.

There was a guy in a black exercise coat, with brown hair slicked back, beside him was a girl that was probably no taller then five feet with short blonde hair and fancy makeup designs around her eyes, she was leaning up against the boy, her arms wrapped around his as he held her close. They were clearly a couple but they weren't what caught his eye.

Sitting across from the overly romantic couple was the angel herself. Bailey. She was sitting across from the two lovers in a mustard yellow hoodie, that stood out a mile away. Brett struggled to look away from her as he heard Mike push through the door and headed out to freedom.

"Hey man, you coming or what?"

Brett snapped back into reality and focused back on walking out the door to enjoy the sweet chill of freedom. Outside the blizzard had subsided as the white fluff was now covering the ground completely.

Mike led the two of them through the snow creating a path in their wake. They were the first ones to christen the newly fallen fluff as Bret cringed as it crunched below his feet. The walk had become a routine for the two boys and almost became a therapeutic way for them to rant and forget the struggles of reality just for a few minutes.

"So how was your morning?"

"Man I don't even know anymore."

There voices echoed back and forth. The boys didn't need to see each other they had done this to many times.

"Why what happened today?"

The boys rounded a corner to a shovelled off side walk, the owner of the house still standing outside holding the shovel as the boys tracked more snow on the clean pavement, they heard an audible sigh from the owner as he returned to shovelling.

"Well would you believe me if I told you a girl drew a picture of me in English."

"Seriously."

"Yea man, it was kind of weird."

"Well is she hot, at least."

Mike started to pry information out of Brett about this new mystery girl, while Brett continued to stare ahead at the snow awaiting them.

"Yea I mean I guess she's attractive, definitely more then some of the girls around school."

Brett's sentence begins to trail off near the end, unable to believe himself, what he was actually saying about this girl that he had only met two hours ago. Did he really care that much about her already, he barely even knew her yet, there was something exciting about the mystery she was shrouded in.

"Even cuter the Emma?"

The words viciously tore Brett back into reality, how could he have forgotten about Emma. He was now conflicted unsure on how to act. The two girls both bounced back and forth in his mind as he tried to form a sentence.

"Well I mean-" The sound of the school bell echoes down the road.

Mike forgot about the question and turns to face the direction of the school.

"Well looks like it's time to go back."

"Yea back to hell we go."

The boys began to walk back, while Brett realized he had just dodged a bullet but that wouldn't stop Mike from asking again. He was right though, was Bailey really better choice compared to Emma?