Chapter 19: What's On Your Face

Brett's heart skipped a beat which seemed to be the regular now a days, thinking that he had heard her wrong. He was to afraid to ask as he looked at Bailey her eye brow's risen waiting for an answer, that Brett didn't have. Right when he was about to lie to the girl with a questioning yes Mrs. Conrad rose from her seat.

"Alright class finish up whatever assignments you've completed and put them on my desk."

Dotting the final 'i' in his paper Brett did a quick skim of it, and went to turn it in to Mrs. Conrad when he felt a burning sensation in his neck. He looked in his peripherals and could make out Bailey staring at him. Her head was leaning against her hand and her gaze pierced the small section of his pupil that made eye contact with her. He couldn't ignore her as he knew she was likely still waiting for an answer. Brett reluctantly turned to face her as he tried to make something up.

"So?"

He looked at her, maybe he did here her right and she really did want him to walk her home. But it was still only lunch could he really just skip an entire day for this girl.

"Wait were you serious?"

"Kinda, I mean if you want to."

Immediately after seeing the little bit of resistance from Brett, she initiated her puppy dog stare. Cutting him deep in his psyche. He was a slave to her gaze, she could bend his beliefs at will with the look. So innocent, So shy, yet she was clearly aware of the power she had over him.

"I still have class this afternoon though."

"Well then I guess you shouldn't miss it."

It was now or never Brett was forced to make a choice as he watched Bailey stand up with her bag and walked behind him. Without thinking he grabbed on to her pulling her back toward him, Bailey was slightly startled by the interaction as she looked back.

"Hold on."

Subconsciously the decision was made, yet he couldn't have this go on his record as an absence. He wasn't one to skip, meaning Tori had to know. He pulled out his phone from his pocket while Bailey takes a seat beside him. Brett unlocks the phone and sees a text from Emma. Looking up, Emma was one of the last ones in the classroom, she was giving him a warm hopeful gaze and a heart warming smile that penetrated right into him and began combating his feelings for Bailey.

What should I do? The thought echoed in his head as he began to descend into his mind, his fingers went into slow motion as he continued typing in a text message to Tori, and his two little reflections of himself appeared on his shoulders.

The little angel and devil never showed up angry with each other, they were really nothing different just strongly opinionated on the same problem. The little angel kicked it off as he looked at Brett and the little devil.

"Don't go, talk to Emma."

The little angel was cut off by the devil.

"No we're already tried our luck there go with Bailey. Besides Emma probably only kissed us because she wanted to get us away from Bailey and make us sad as revenge for everything we've done to her."

"But that kiss. Wow-wee."

"Why kiss one girl when you can kiss two."

The devil made a compelling argument to Brett's puberty ridden desires. He had made up his mind, fuelled with what if's, Brett snapped back into reality.

"Alright let's go."

The two of them stand up and head for the hallway. Giving a final glance to Emma as they walk away. It was the final strike, if only she was moments sooner in getting Brett's attention then maybe it'd be different unfortunately that wasn't the case.

The two entered the hallway as Bailey walked Brett to her locker. She opened it up clicking open the dial and then started loading books into the bag before zipping it back up and reattaching the lock to the aluminum door. This was it, it was time to take her home.

Heading outside the two teens made their way to a bus stop a little ways up the hill. Brett was aware that a bus made its round's through this stop but never knew were it went as he continued to follow Bailey's lead.

A wooden bench was sat in the middle of the sun, the paint baked on and cracking every which way as the two sat down and waited for the bus. Almost everywhere they sky was clouded over except for right above them as the light rays shined down on them. If this was some sappy love story movie this would be the moment that he would've realized she was the one. Sadly he didn't think that as the pestering thought of Emma continued to linger, Brett attempted to not give it any attention.

Beside him though Bailey had pulled out a bag of orange dusted peas, taking a small handful of them and proceeding to eat them. He mouth wasn't very full as she turned to look at Brett, pushing the bag toward him.

He kindly turned down the offer as she took about four more and then closed the bag, giving Brett her full attention now. What ever illness she had caught clearly wasn't there anymore as her personality was so much more bubblier. The smell of rain still hung in the air, the moment was almost perfect, except for the doubt in Brett's mind.

He looked up the road again, only to see no sign of a bus. This adventure was about to take him to the unknown both physically and mentally as he turned to face Bailey. He was a little taken back as she looked at him.

"What's on your face?"

"What do you mean?"

Brett rubbed his cheek, because where else would any mark be. That's when he realized that there would in fact be a mark on his face...from the other women. Before he could lie and try to avoid what came next, Bailey reached out and placed a finger on his lips and dragged it to one side.

She looked at her finger and then showed it to Brett. Her frail finger that usually was a ghostly white was now a ruby red colour half way down. He knew that she knew that only one person in class today had that colour lipstick on, and there was only on way that it could have found it's way on to his lips.

This is bad, real bad. He thought, this was it he needed the best lie he had ever told. He was depressed, he had told people he was fine all the time, but this was different and they both knew it. Maybe just maybe she wouldn't believe him if he told her the truth. Brett sucked up his fear and opened his mouth only to be cut off by Bailey.