Chapter 42: Partners

Brett couldn't believe what he saw in front of him, it was almost surreal as Emma appeared to have manifested out of the shadows.

"What are you doing here. Why didn't you text me or something?"

The agitated tone he once had, disappeared as he looked at her adopting a softer and caring tone. Emma patted the bed beside her, causing Brett to stand up and take a seat beside her. His legs dangled off the side of the bed, while Emma sat cross legged facing him.

"I talked to Bailey after you left today."

"Are you okay? She didn't hurt you did she?"

His face turned to a frown, as he brushed Emma's hair off to the side, while inadvertently looking to see any potential scars from a potential fight.

"No, I'm fine. We do need to talk about her though."

"What about? Do you want me to stay away from her because I will."

As the words left his mouth, Emma locked eyes with him, and shook her head.

"No opposite of that."

Emma reached down and held one of Brett's hands and traced little drawing on the back of it with her finger then looked up at Brett.

"She cares about you a lot, and I've realized that if we're going to be together. I have to make an effort to be her friend as well."

"Are you serious?"

Not sure how to react, Brett felt happy. For the last year he had worried about destroying the friendships that he shared with the two girls but now that Emma wanted to make an effort to be Bailey's friend he couldn't be happier. Emma on the other hand was content as she nodded her head to answer Brett's question.

"She just needs friends, good friends. So I told her that those friends would be you and me."

"Yea, I think we can do that."

"Good."

Both of their smiles came together as Emma leaned in. Expecting to feel her lips on his, Brett was surprised to have her gentle touch on his cheek and pulled away. Brett opened his eyes as he brushed her cheek again to move some of her hair behind her ear before kissing her back, except it wasn't on the cheek. The two of them enjoyed the moment with no weight left on their shoulders and their future was bright, before separating. Moving on, Emma looked at Brett's computer and noticed the word document.

"So what were you working on?"

The two of them look at the computer, as Brett realized that the word document was still open.

"Oh nothing, It's stupid but when I got home I just started writing, I'm only a few pages in if you want to read it."

Emma lit up, giddy with excitement.

"Sure."

She quickly stood up and sat in the chair that Brett was just sitting in a few minutes earlier. She started scrolling up to the top page while Brett stood behind her looking over her shoulder leaning on the back of the chair. It was the first time he had ever felt nervous around Emma scared of what she was going to think. Watching as she scrolled through she got to the last page and read the final sentence to her self in a low mumble.

"So?"

"It's really good."

She spun the chair around and looked wide eyed at Brett.

"Do you maybe want to help me write it?"

Brett asked as Emma's awe struck look turned into a smile.

"Are you serious? I don't want to ruin it?

"It takes someone beautiful to know what beautiful is."

"Then I'd love to."

Emma was a little hesitant as Brett put a hand on her shoulder to reassure her. She smiled stupidly at him before turning back to the computer. Brett pulled up a second chair and the two of them started discussing the story and what Brett's main idea was then continued to write.

Hours had gone by as the couple sat in the dark. Without being able to see the outside world time didn't seem to change, the sun had set and the moon had risen outside. Tori came down the stairs at one point and knocked on the door. Brett and Emma both turned around and looked at her as she walked in.

"Having fun you too?"

"Yes mom."

Looking at the two love birds, Brett was being sarcastic as she clearly had something she wanted to ask.

"I just wanted to let y'know we're heading out for the night, with your parents oddly enough Emma. So you'll both be left alone and I talked with Emma's parents and they say it's okay for her to stay over if she'd like, like old times."

Emma looked at Brett a little bit surprised at what Tori had just said. Both of them had been cut from the same cloth. They never thought that they would have the opportunity to spend the night together. With nothing left to say Tori left the two of them to discuss the matter.

"So do you want to stay over?"

"I mean with the week that we've had it might be nice to just relax and we can keep writing. I just need to go get some stuff first."

Blushing uncontrollably Emma, couldn't take her eyes off Brett getting lost in his eyes, while Brett agreed that it would be nice to spend the night together. With all that being said they took a break and Emma ran home and grabbed a change of clothes while Brett took a moment to make a snack for both of them. Rushing back over, Emma just caught Tori about to lock up the house, that's when she saw Emma and let her in locking the door behind her. She ran down the stairs to see Brett already continuing to type as she entered the room.

"Is there somewhere I can put this?"

In her hands was a ball of clothes, and Brett looked at her trying to think.

"Oh yea of course I cleared a spot for you," He stood up and walked over to the wardrobe in the shadows and pulled open one of the drawers. "It's all your's."

Emma looks down at the drawer, acknowledging the romantic gesture with a smile and then looked at Brett.

"I'm going to go get changed into something comfy."

She left the room with her arms still filled with the clothes, while Brett turned back to the screen. He couldn't believe it, it was actually happening he was going to spend an entire night with the girl of his dreams. Brett just hoped he wouldn't let her down.