Chapter 20: Just To Sweet

"What's this?"

Her dainty finger was right in front of him. Living on a prayer he hoped that she would think the truth was actually a lie. This was it, the moment of truth.

"Oh that you'll never believe me if I told you."

"Try me."

Brett and Emma's intimacy with each other was now but a poorly kept secret, while Bailey waited for his acceptance of the situation, clearly with no intention of giving up until she had her answer.

"Fine. This morning when I was walking up to the school, Emma out of nowhere appeared and kissed me in the rain."

He couldn't help but smile as he reimagined the magical moment. Bailey's face on the other hand started to drop as she looked at the ground. Her heart appeared to be broken.

"So you're dating now."

The realization that he was now walking on a fine line with the girl, that he had skipped class for was starting to worry him, knowing that the relationship that Bailey and him both now shared could be destroyed if he spoke out of turn.

"No, of course not."

Trying his best to diffuse the situation by laughing off the remark, he hoped that he could reassure Bailey. However she still seemed to be down forcing Brett to make his next move. Only seen in movies before, he put his arm around Bailey holding her close to him. She began to perk up as she gave in to the embrace.

"Well I'm glad, I don't want to lose you."

She placed her head on Brett's shoulder again as he finally got his opportunity to rest his head against hers, this time there was nothing to anticipate except for a poorly timed city bus which was normal around their city as it was relatively the biggest pain that kids under twenty complained about.

A few minutes of silence passed as the two sat there enjoying each other's company. As a cloud of flowery scents roamed around them. Between them the only sound was the sound of Bailey munching down on her peas. Until Brett finally felt like it was an okay time to start asking Bailey some personal questions about her life, and her family as the two basically looked like a generic couple.

"So what's your family like?"

"I'd rather not talk about it."

It didn't last long as she put another tiny handful of peas in her mouth, while Brett continued to persist.

"It can't be that bad."

Immediately, Brett could feel her chewing mouth slow down as her hand clutched the bag of peas, in a death grip. Her fist was filled with rage as the silence settled over them, Bailey swallowed whatever remained of the peas and closed the bag.

"Well it is," Bailey said, now visibly angered by the question and Brett's badgering, she tilted her head back up as the bus was coming toward them. "Here comes the bus."

The metallic beast stops right beside them allowing them to get on, Bailey pushed past Brett giving him the cold shoulder as she walked down the bus aisle choosing a set of three horizontal facing seats.

Taking the seat on the right, Bailey sat down and dropped her bag. Brett followed but was hesitant to take the seat right beside her instead choosing to sit on the far left seat, leaving space in between them. Bailey's attention focused on the bus window as the world started to move around them. It was really happening he was skipping school to go to a girls house. Sure she was pissed off but none the less he was still doing something out of his comfort zone.

Brett kept his eyes forward though to scared to make the first move, knowing Bailey was a ticking time bomb that could go off any second. He looked over to the other side of the bus and out the window seeing that Bailey had claimed the other one.

While staring out the window Brett, was beginning to doubt his decision. The thought of Emma started to flood his mind, almost as if Bailey wasn't even there beside him but Emma was.

"What are you doing?"

Not realizing he had closed his eyes, the sound of Bailey's voice forced them open as he turned to look at her. Her eyes were focused on him putting him on the spot.

"What do you mean?"

"Why are you sitting so far away from me, come here."

Relief washed over him as he saw the smile on her face, Bailey's little episode had ended and she seemed like she was back to normal. She tapped the seat beside her, hoping that Brett would slide over.

"I thought you were mad at me?"

"I was...but it's hard to be mad at you."

Still a little unsure if he should trust her smile, Bailey seemed pretty genuine as she grabbed what ever she could on him and try to pull him over to the other seat. He didn't fight it as he slid over, and Bailey and Brett interlocked their fingers. Bailey leaned on Brett's shoulder nuzzling the top of her head into his neck.

"You're just to sweet of a guy."

Bailey lifted her head her lips moving closer to Brett's neck. Her face disappeared from view, when he suddenly felt what he thought was Bailey's lips quickly kissing his neck, sucking on the skin for what felt like a brief second before disconnecting from him.

Again he could only smile, as the love between the two of them was continuing to slowly flourish. Bailey was now on the verge of falling asleep, Brett moved his shoulder and woke up Bailey. As she came back to life Brett opened a GPS application on his phone, waiting as Bailey rubbed her eyes and looked at the phone.

"Hey, before you fall asleep can you show me where the stop is?"

She looked up at Brett returning the smile that she was faced with and began to drag her finger on the screen until she found the stop and pointed at it.

"Here."

Without another word, Bailey readjusted herself, pushing her head back up against Brett's neck and wrapped an arm around Brett's arm before interlocking her finger with his again. Falling asleep almost instantly.

Brett pulled her in close as the flowery aroma replaced the moldy wet snow smell of the bus, putting the two of them into a state of ecstasy as their bond grew stronger then ever. Her head got heavier as she fell into a deep sleep, while Brett leaned his head against hers and the bus cruised down the street to Bailey's house. What would be in store for Brett when the got there, his heart was fluttering as he flirted with the thought.