Chapter 38: Tomorrow

The day was done as Brett walked on the bus, and down the aisle. He couldn't lose the smile that was on his face as he finally had the girl he had wanted for so long. There was an empty seat in the middle of the bus that he took and was surprised by the photo of Emma. He had seen it a few times during the day, but it wasn't until now that it really sank in.

He went to open the phone and looked through some of the apps but he stopped when a text message from Emma appeared at the top. He opens it and his eyes lit up at the message.

"So I have to ask, since you haven't, just like my phone number, but do you want to go out with me?"

There shouldn't even be a questioning bone in Brett's body but it was the depression and the consequences that this might have that dragged him back into his mind. Once again he was greeted by the little angel and devil.

"Brett, you can't do this to Bailey. Everyone is expecting you to take care of her."

The little devil protested as the Angel felt the battle had already been won.

"Don't listen to him Brett, this is what we wanted since we were kids, and Bailey already turned you down once."

"Don't be a douchebag, Bailey needs you."

"You just have to say yes, then Emma is yours. Besides Bailey comes with a lot of baggage we're not ready for."

The angel made the strongest argument of the two, Bailey did have a lot of stuff going on that Brett wasn't ready to deal with. He sat there for a moment before sending the three letter text message. Yes.

Before he could even relax, Emma had sent a response. It was a simple text containing a smiley face, a heart and a lipstick kiss. There were no words in the text, but there didn't need to be. Brett got the message loud and clear.

The bus pulled away from the school and past Emma's bus, he could see her in the window hugging her friend as she continued to look at her phone. His job was done and he sat back in the seat and started daydreaming.

In his minds eye, the dream started with Bailey and ended on the kisses that were fresh in his mind. The final thoughts he had when looking out the window was Bailey looking depressed and heartbroken, while Emma was happy and excited which made Brett smile as well.

***

The night passed as Brett continued to work on the story he was writing, choosing not to text Emma so he could make some progress without distraction. The night flew by surprisingly as Brett occasionally remembered that he was now Emma's boyfriend, and it put a smile on his face.

Finally wearing himself out mentally, it was time for bed. Brett laid there having no contact with his girlfriend or Bailey, he closed his eyes and is transported to a place he greatly feared and was the location of his worst nightmares. The old house's hallway.

Brett stood there trying to force himself to get through the nightmare. Dreading what was about to happen he clicked on the flashlight and ran down the hallway progressing the story at an accelerated pace. Trying to get through the nightmare waiting for the demons and what they were going to do.

Keeping the flashlight forward, he ran to the spot he thought was the one he was standing in the last time, and watched as the two candle sticks lit up. He looked for the hooded figure from before but no one was there.

He started to worry and started to look around the place until hesitantly turning around. As he turned though the subtle sound of someone lightly walking towards him drifted through the air, that's when it became a full on sprint, the light steps got faster and faster.

Brett not sure what to do frantically turned around to see the malnourished women running straight at him, she was screaming like a banshee out of hell. Brett had no choice but to stumble back doing his best to run away from her, but hardly got anywhere.

This was it, he braced for the women attack as something out of nowhere hits him in the stomach and knocks him to the ground. The hooded figure. They're standing over Brett now almost in a protective manner. The only difference was this time the hood wasn't up instead he was looking at a women with blonde hair. Emma. Which could only mean one thing the other girl was, Bailey.

Beginning to freakout Brett tried to protect Emma but as he sat up, he realized the deprived women was gone without a trace. I don't understand. Brett tried to say to Emma but no words came out instead Emma raised a hand and summoned a rectangle like door in front of her, light illuminated from the structure as she pushed Brett through it.

His body convulsed as his mind kicked in and he realized he was a wake. A side from that he was getting tired of waking up in a cold sweat. He rolled over to look at the time, and noticed he forgot to set his alarm, he activated the little switch and then looked at his phone beside it. He pressed the button not sure what to expect, only to see a message from Emma on the screen.

"Goodnight."

Every worry in Brett's body disappeared as he read the message. It had been sent four hours ago but it felt like it was just recent. Finally relaxed he put the phone down and closed his eyes effortlessly going back to sleep.

The two remaining hours Brett had to sleep, flew by in what felt like five minutes. The sound of the alarm clock woke him up and reality graced him on the new day, when the thought of something new also started with Emma.

Pushing himself out of Bed, Brett had never felt better as he headed upstairs. Walking into the kitchen he looked at Tori, but doesn't see her anywhere instead the cat is just sitting on a newspaper eating the thing of yogurt by itself. Beside the cat though is a note.

"Had to go early, have a good day."

Brett looked at the calendar and noticed that it was actually Friday. He must have lost track of the days, thinking it was the beginning of the second week when it was actually the end. Putting the note down he gets through the morning routine and threw the backpack on his shoulder, as he heard a knock on the door.

He opened it to see his girlfriend standing there. Emma was beautifully lit by the sun giving her a bit of a glow. She smiled at Brett.

"Want to go to school together?"

"Y'know I do."

Pulling the door closed behind him he leaned forward and confidently kissed Emma before locking his door and doing a final check to make sure the house was secure.

"I think I'll like being your girlfriend."

"Well I'm already liking being your boyfriend."

The adorableness of the two of them, would make anyone else vomit at how hopelessly in love they were but it didn't effect them. They were happy as Brett offered a hand to Emma and she took it and followed her man to school. Where the true test of love would be waiting for them.