Chapter 12: All's Fair In Love And War

Brett entered the hallway, his primary objective was to get to the cafeteria and out of this hell hole to go enjoy some bro time with Mike. He turned around the threshold of the classroom door not paying any attention when he suddenly felt someone's hand grasp his forearm and pulled him back.

He turned to confront the individual, trying to figure out who it was only to see a concerned looking Emma leaning against some lockers. Clearly something was on her mind, as Brett turned around to face her.

"What was that about?"

She was visibly sad, as she finally dropped the fake smile she had put on for the class, putting her true emotions on display.

"It was nothing, just stupid male instinct."

He tried his best to try and convince her but Emma was smarter then that. Even though she didn't want to believe it she had to give Brett the benefit of the doubt.

"Okay if you say so, I have to go but hey maybe we can sit together tomorrow. Oh and before I forget give me your phone."

Reaching out she gestured for his phone as Brett was reluctant to pull it out and hand it to her. However he knew that she had to feel like she could trust him so he pulled it out and placed it in her hand. She taps away entering something into the device and then turned it off handing it back to Brett.

"What was that about?"

"I just gave you my number, in case there's like homework or something. Besides after all these years you never asked for it, and I thought you should have it."

She finished entering Brett's number into her phone until they both slid their respective device into their pockets.

"Alright anyways I have to go, but I'll see you tomorrow."

Ready to walk away from her, Emma showed she was still full of surprises as she wrapped her arms around Brett to hug him. Brett had never seen this girl show so much PDA before as he awkwardly put his arms around her trying to not draw to much attention to the situation. He was only hugging one of the most fought after girls, and all he had to do was be her friend to get this far with her.

He was sure people were staring as they embraced. However Emma's actions weren't as innocent as Brett was led on to believe. He didn't know it but Bailey had walked out from the classroom as Emma gave her a smirk.

Bailey's blank gaze ignited into an I'll kill you expression. Emma knew she had Bailey on the ropes as it was time to seal the deal and claim what was rightfully hers. As revenge for taking Brett away from her while they hugged Emma turned her head and kissed his cheek, leaving yet again a cherry red lip mark on his cheek.

Bailey's gaze was now filled with hatred toward her new rival, while Brett was now even more shocked by Emma. It felt like a dream that he could have only ever imagined, but that dream would soon become a nightmare as Bailey entered his peripherals over the back of Emma's head.

Her glare burned with intensity toward Emma, as Brett was actually starting to become fearful of the girl he saw as an angel. It didn't bother Emma though, she had one the battle but the war was yet to come.

As Bailey left, Emma released her hold on Brett giving him a little wave and walked down the hallway not saying a word about what had just happened. In the span of what felt like a minute Brett's world was flipped upside down and he was left standing there dumbfounded in the hallway.

Still trying to comprehend what had happened, he finally regained movement in his body, realizing that Mike was probably already waiting for him by now. With a quickened pace he made it to the cafeteria and headed over to the Republic, but before getting to the group, he caught Mike's eye causing him to stand up and head over to Brett.

"Ready to walk man?"

"Y'know it."

The two of them didn't even break stride as they headed towards the outside world. The outcast hallway was like any other day, except Bailey and and her acquaintances were no where to be seen, as the two boys pushed through the doors.

"So how'd your morning go?"

"Well I got two girls numbers."

"Dude are you serious?"

Mike was shocked by the news, after knowing Brett for as long as he did it was weird for him to have anything close to a connection with a women, let alone two. Mike turned to Brett and noticed the weirdly deformed cherry red oval on his cheek. Brett was still facing forward unaware of what Mike was staring at.

"Yea it was like a moment from a movie."

Feeling as if Mike didn't believe him, he started to fish around in his pocket for the piece of paper with Bailey's number on it, but Mike was occupied by something else.

"So then if it was so movie magical, which one of them gave that to you?"

Brett stopped digging in his pocket two see Mike pointing at his cheek, rubbing his hand against it he noticed the familiar red smear that he had just wiped off yesterday. He began to blush as he looked at the smear, his love for Emma returned, but he still tried to play stupid so Mike didn't find out.

"What the hell...oh. Yea for some reason Emma kissed me on the cheek today.

"Are you serious, well man you gotta go for it."

"Dude, but the new girl."

Even though his feeling for Emma were running wild he still felt the need to defend Bailey, as if she still had something that he desired. The two continued to walk, not saying a word to each other. What else was there for them to even say, until the silence was broken by Brett's phone. Pulling it out of his pocket he turned on the screen and saw Bailey's name.

"Bro is it Emma?"

"No it's the other girl."

Feeling Mike's breath on his neck, he knew his friend was curious as Brett tried to hide the girls name. The text message was a simple Hey text message. Not feeling the need to respond he slid the phone back in his pocket, because lunchtime was for the boys.

"Well man, looks like you're going to have a choice to make."

"Nah man, I'm pretty sure Emma's just fooling around trying to make some guy jealous."

The boys round a corner as Brett remained unsure of what either girls intentions were with him. He rubbed his cheek again trying his best to get Emma's lipstick off, while the two of them walked back to the school. On cue the bell rings as they were steps away from the front door.

The rest of the day is uneventful as Brett went to the computer science class where they begin their quiet work period. The boys discuss some ideas but continue to work in the quiet classroom with not much dialogue between them, they programmed away. The day ended as Brett headed to the bus his mind clouded with questions as he waited to get to the stop, the rowdy kids weren't rowdy today and no one said a word. A kid fell asleep on Brett but he didn't care. Finally the bus stopped at the top of the hill as Brett got off.

He looked around for Emma, to see her shimmering blonde hair that would have been lightly dusted by the snowflakes that were falling but she was no where to be seen. Brett's heart sank as he realized he wouldn't be getting any answers about what was going on and crossed the street. One question was still burning deep inside him though.

Did Emma and Bailey actually like him or was he just a pawn in the middle of a heated fight between two girls trying to show their dominance.