Chapter 33: The Hospital

The double doors slid open with a whooshing sound. The couple headed to the front desk so Bailey could check herself in. The attendant behind the desk handed her a clipboard as she signed her name, putting it back on the table the nurse put a wristband on her and turned back to her work.

Now it was time for the worst part, waiting. They sat down in the waiting room, oddly empty there was only one other person there. Finding a seat Bailey continued to hang off Brett, The waiting room wasn't that large as the other individual looked up at them. It was an older lady she looked at the emotional kids in front of her with a warm smile.

"Well aren't you two just the cutest."

"Thank you."

Brett contently replied not looking for a conversation at the moment, being more concerned with Bailey. That didn't stop the older lady though.

"Is she okay?"

"Yea she's just a little nervous."

The older women was committed to this conversation as she put the gossip magazine done and looked at the two of them giving her full attention.

"Oh, It alright girly. You're boyfriend here will take care of you."

The patients words trigger Bailey as she loosened her grasp on Brett's arm and looked over at the women for the first time.

"I know he will, that's why I love him."

Trying her best to sell the relationship, Bailey gave the other patient a small grin before kissing Brett on the cheek. The elderly women could only smile as a nurse came out from the automatic doors and walked up to Brett and Bailey.

"Bailey?"

"That's me."

The nurse smiled probably for the same reason the elderly patient smiled. The nurse looked at the girl and then turned away making Bailey stand up still holding Brett's hand, until they were to far apart and their fingers slipped past each other.

Brett was now alone, another nurse came into the room and took the elderly patient moments after the first nurse took Bailey. It was eerily quiet. Brett hated being in the hospitals it predominated his depression. He needed something to distract himself as he looked around the room. Aimlessly looking, he looked at his phone, to no avail before lowering his head.

Sitting there with his head down, Brett was trying to get lost in his mind, trying to focus on anything else when he saw two feet walk past in front of him and takes the seat where Bailey had just been sitting a few minutes ago.

He raised his head just to get a glimpse of the person who felt the need to sit by him. He wasn't going to look long, just a peak. That's when he saw the familiar face. Michelle was sitting right beside him with a smiling face.

"Mind if I sit her?"

It was an empty question. Michelle clearly had no intention of moving. Brett knew that the second impression he made on Michelle was going to be a lot harder then the first. Knowing he was going to have a conversation with the women he sat up in the chair.

"Of course, please do."

The two of them sat there awkwardly as the age gap kicked in, and they were both uncomfortable starting a conversation with one another. Like in every awkward conversation the time comes that they go to say something and immediately cut each other off.

"Sorry, go ahead."

Michelle smiles at the boys kindness, deep down knowing that Bailey had finally picked a good one.

"I just wanted to thank you for everything you've done for Bailey. You've made her into a happier young women, that even the doctors have noticed a change."

"It's nothing really. I should be thanking her, she's made me into a better person as well."

"I'm glad, It's just been rough for our family lately and I'm glad she has a strong male presence in her life. Her father left us when she was a kid."

Michelle stared at the wall, as the words came out. He could see that they hurt her to admit but yet she seemed positive. Brett on the other hand, felt a weight growing on his shoulders. Everyone kept saying how much he meant to Bailey, that is was now starting to come with it's own stress. Did he really matter that much, what would happen if they were apart? Brett turned to face the wall now as well as if it had all the answers.

"Wow, that's rough. I'm sorry."

"It was a mutual between me and him, but it did a real number on her. I think you might have been her saving grace."

Brett could feel himself get older, with all these weird conversations coming up. He was only seventeen and here he was talking about mental disorders with one person and divorce with another who happened to be the mother of the girl he liked.

"She never told me any of this."

"Yea she's pretty closed off which is why I have to ask you a favour. Just keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't hurt herself."

Again another favour. The relationship was feeling less of a boyfriend, girlfriend thing where they lived happily ever after, and quickly becoming a full time job. That's when it hit him, he missed Emma, what would they've been doing on this day if he was with her. Brett was committed now though.

"Yea of course. I'll do my best."

"Thanks."

Their conversation came to an end, and they looked back down the hall to where Bailey had disappeared early. Thankfully Bailey appeared down the hall with a nurse as they headed back to the waiting room. When they entered Bailey was shocked to see her mother sitting beside Brett.

"Mom, what are you doing here?"

The look of confusion on Bailey's face, told Brett that she had forgotten that Michelle was coming to pick her up.

"I told you I'd pick you up after the appointment. However I was surprised to see Brett here, but I'm glad he was."

"Yea me too."

"Aright kids, let's go. Brett I'll drop you off at a train station on our way."

The two girls smiled at him, as he graciously accepted Michelle's offer. Getting out of this hospital was top priority. Michelle grabbed her purse and headed toward the door, while Brett and Bailey followed behind her.

When they exited the hospital and entered the parking lot, Michelle led Brett and Bailey to a vehicle. The couple interlocked their pinkies as cliche as it was, trying not to let Michelle see. In the parking lot they went down a row of cars until Michelle stopped at a large black truck.

The girls get in on one side, and Brett gets in the other side, sitting in the back with Bailey, the truck started up and Michelle pulled out of the parking lot, inside the truck it was silent with only the sound of the engine roaring down the road. Michelle avoided making any conversations and just kept her eyes on the road.

Occasionally her eye would shift to the rearview mirror to make sure the kids in the back weren't making out or anything, but it was peaceful. Brett and Bailey were doing the same thing, they would occasionally glance at each other, the two of them locked eyes with each other at one point. It was awkward, until the truck finally pulled up to a train station. Brett and Bailey engaged in a quick hug then Brett hopped out of the truck.

"Thank you."

Brett closed the door behind him and waited for the train home while the truck sped away. Standing on the platform he couldn't help but give into the depression. Something had changed he wasn't happy, even though he had spent the entire day with Bailey, the girl he loved...or the girl he thought he did. Somewhere Emma was living casual, just chilling or so he assumed while he was at the hospital with a random seventeen year old girl and her mom. Was this truly what he wanted from life. The train pulled up and Brett got on, not sure what to do anymore.