Chapter 5: Her

The threshold of room two twelve had seen many lone wanderers pass through it over the years, Brett was yet just another one of those people. Behind a regal looking desk, an older women sat staring down at some sheets of paper.

Mrs. Conrad, had the reputation of failing kids, and being to hard on students. When in actuality she was just preparing them all for reality and they were to immature to accept that. Her hair was an auburn maroon colour going down to her shoulders, she had glasses perched on the tip of her nose, and her eyes were full of wisdom, that were occupied by slight wrinkles from the stresses of teaching.

Overall she was the teacher that everyone envisioned when they described a teacher they didn't like. She was still heavily focused on her notes as Brett veered off to the side and walked into the classroom to a group of four desks. Two boys were already sitting there, in mid conversation.

He took a seat across from the two of them as they turned to face him. On his left was Trent. He was a partial jock only participating in sports when he absolutely had to and had a reputation as a womanizer. Jake the other boy was on Brett's right, he was similar to Trent except for the fact he was more invested in their bromance to think about anything else.

"Hey man, what's good?"

"Ah y'know same old, same old. How about you two."

Trent's eyes were now locked with Brett's as Brett slid his backpack beside the desk. Jake looking defeated in his seat, with piles of paper scattered about his desk he buried his head in his arms staring down at the table top completely wide eyed.

"I forgot the poem breakdown was due today."

Trent wrapped an arm around his bro's shoulder and leans in close, oddly seeming like a romantic embrace but they'd never tell.

"That makes two of us bro. You and I are in this together. But I'm guessing Brett here already has it done."

Finishing his remark, Trent and Jake looked across the table at Brett, watching as he pulled out a binder and opened it up pulling out a sheet of paper.

"You know me well."

"Nan you're just not as lazy as us, and like to stay in your comfort zone," Trent said as Jake chimed in immediately following Trent's sentence. "Yea, you're not the kind of person to just take a risk."

"Yea that's it."

Brett sarcastically replied as he continued to stare at the papers, trying to not let them see that their words had cut him deep. He knew they were right, he never did have anything exciting going on in his life, but hearing it out loud from other people was what destroyed him.

From across the other side of the room, Mrs. Conrad finally rose from her desk and looked out at the class. She glared into each and every one of them as they all remained silent. Finally seeing that everyone was sitting in fear she addressed the class knowing that she was in complete control.

"Good morning class, today we'll be doing another image examination to see how we interpret what we see. As usual It'll be a partner assignment, however it will only be groups of two this time. You will have thirty minutes then you will share with your partner to compare and contrast your opinions."

As the orders were given, Trent and Jake instinctively looked at each other in unison giving each other a nod. Their romantic bond was triggered as Brett remembered their pact they just made to never abandon each other. A minute passed before Trent looked over, remembering that Brett was there.

"Sorry man."

Merely shrugging it off, Brett looked at the two boys.

"Meh I'm used to it."

At the other side of the room Mrs. Conrad scanned the room looking to see everything unfold. Silently judging the class as they partnered up with their friends that she already knew would lead to failure. However she looked at Brett, and realized he didn't have a partner scanning a little farther, her eyes lock on a girl who was deep into scribbling in a note book.

Leaving her post, She walked over to Brett, who glanced ups at her. Her hair created a shadow across her eyes, giving Brett the feeling of staring into darkness.

"Brett, how about you go and work with Bailey."

He looked at her with a face on confusion as he tried to place name to face. Mrs. Conrad's stare continued travelling right to his soul as Brett realized who she was talking about. Looking past the teacher he saw the girl scribbling away as a white glow shrouded her body from the window beside her. She was angelic to look at as Brett snapped back into reality.

"Sure."

"Good to hear."

Picking up his bag from beside the desk, he grabbed the top handle and scooped his binders off the table placing them under his arm as he went and sat with the isolated girl. Pulling out the seat across from the mysterious girl, he placed his bag beside him keeping it close.

Looking up at the girl, she was still wrapped in the light from the window, he couldn't see her face though, just her sandy brown hair it was hard to see how long it was as it folded on itself. The drawing before her kept her attention as if she didn't realize Brett was even there.

"Alright everyone, let's begin."

Mrs. Conrad finally announced as she returned to her desk and continued to examine the papers. Brett opened his notebook again and began to write, while analyzing the picture Mrs. Conrad had provided.

Brett killed a portion of the time by exchanging glances between his assignment, the picture and Bailey. Always stopping on her for a few seconds more then the other two. He wasn't sure why but something about this girl, made Brett desire her, yet he hadn't even seen her face just her sandy brown hair.