Chapter 36: Beauty And The Nerds

"What?"

"I'm not sure why, but I saw how close you and Bailey are and I just thought you should know."

Brett was left in shock at the news. What did Bailey do in the last week to bring this upon herself. Mrs. Conrad gave him a weak grin, giving him time to process the information.

"Wow, okay thanks for letting me know."

"Apparently she comes back tomorrow, so take care of her and help her get readjusted."

"Of course."

"You're a good kid, Brett. Bailey is lucky to have someone like you."

The class was all pretty much seated when Mrs. Conrad and Brett walked back into the room. They pretty much followed the same path, Brett went to the student desk while she returned to the big ivory one to get her lesson plan and moving to the front of the class.

She knew the information must be weighing on Brett, as she watched him cover his head up in the back of the room and didn't say anything about it.

***

Brett's mind had been at war with itself for the last ninety minutes of his life. Competing with thoughts of Bailey and Emma they were agitating him and he needed to find a way to relax. He wasted no time in packing up his bags and headed straight to the library where he resided most days now since the Republic had graduated.

Cam was already sitting down at a computer reading through a popular manga, when Brett took the seat beside him. They didn't have to say anything to each other as Cam already had a game of chess loaded up on the screen.

When Brett sat down that meant that the game was on, and Cam made the first move and so on. The lunch hour flew by as the boys played game after game, still not saying much attention to each other. Finally the bell rang and the boys headed out of the library.

"See you in ninety."

"Yep."

Quick but to the point, Cam walked down a hallway and headed for his class. Back in the cafeteria Brett took a seat at the closest most table to the library and began to kill ninety minutes of his day. Pulling out a few assignments from his classes he started to work through them occasionally getting distracted by his phone and surfing the internet.

The so called perfect day had hit a wall in English, and now he was sitting alone, in an empty cafeteria trying to get work done. He considered going for a walk but it was to much of a struggle.

He looked back at the english assignment, and twirled his pencil. He'd write one sentence then take a five or so minute break, before continuing. The process worked well as the final ten minutes of his free period rolled around. Halfway through his current sentence someone blinded him by putting their hands over his eyes.

"Guess who."

The voice was from a familiar individual, if he didn't recognize the perfume it might have actually been a challenge. He gave her props for trying to disguise her voice but still it was simple.

"I wonder."

Brett's response was followed by him trying to pry the girls smaller hands off of his eyes.

"Noo that's not fair."

The female attacker said as he tried to hold his head, She pressed her chest against the back of his head so she could keep her arms closer to her body, still Brett was capable of overpowering her. Knowing she couldn't win she released her grasp on his head and sat down beside him.

"Hey you, what's up?"

"Other then freezing in this dress and missing your hoodie not much, oh and by the way your suppose to let the girl win."

Brett looked over at Emma, he couldn't be more relieved to see her. She brought all the stress out of him and just left all the happy.

"Sorry, do you want my hoodie as an apology for not playing the game right."

Emma just nodded with a sly grin, implying that, that was her intention the whole time. She kept her longing gaze on him though as she put on the hoodie.

"So how was your morning?"

"Meh could be better. I just found out bailey in in the hospital or was and now she's coming back tomorrow."

Dropping the pencil on the english assignment he gave his full attention to Emma, knowing that there was no way in hell he could focus with her beside him.

"Well at least she's coming back, that's good to hear. Are you two still close?"

"Not since last semester I hung out with her twice over the summer but that's all."

"So like nothing romantic."

Brett was an open book, Emma could have asked him anything and he would have told her the truth. The whole time her question were asked with a shy tone as she played with her hands on the table.

"I asked if she wanted to go out and she turned me down."

He regretted the memory, he may have not felt sad but he did regret it. Brett was almost confident that it was the reason that Bailey had him doing all those things before school started. Now he was in the lunch room looking at the most beautiful girl he had ever seen and didn't know how to tell her.

"Seriously, you asked her out and said no? Well maybe it's time you take this as an opportunity to maybe find someone else."

It was like she was in his head, listening to his thoughts. He was scared though, rejection wasn't easy and if he was reading Emma wrong it would probably kill him.

"Yea anyways class is about to start, so I better get going."

He stared at Emma one last time before packing up his bag, just stuffing it in and then began to walk away. Only Emma, wasn't going to lose the boy she loved today as she chased after him.

"Umm, do you mind if I come with you I just have a spare this afternoon and I don't really have anywhere to be."

In an attempt to persuade Brett, he hesitated it was getting to real for him. Something about her face though told him that she was sincere. Besides he loved her, deep in the dark recesses of his heart he knew it. She had never used dirty tactics like Bailey, it was just her personality that he fell for.

"Are you sure, because we have to go right now if you are?"

Emma simply nodded, her heart launching fireworks, finally getting to spend what almost felt like a whole day with Brett. She slid the purse up her arm and joined him. She forced her hand into his, not expecting him to hold it for long, but he takes it, not saying a word and neither does Emma.