Chapter 39: Traitor

The bus had pulled up to the school. The once believed to be prison, was now going to be a feeding ground for sharks now that the two were a couple. Emma had chosen Brett to be her significant other, meaning all the jocks, goths, nerds, normals would all be watching since he had now set the bar.

The bus ride to the school, the flirtatious couple spent the entire trip talking about their lives and everything that happened over the last year. Brett kept a few details of Bailey hidden from Emma, but she didn't seem to care.

Around them everyone had already gotten off, while the two of them took their time. They walked up the ramp of the school where they had shared their first kiss with each other, they both seemed to notice the spot but continued to walk until they got to the main doors of the school.

They took a moment to look at the main doors as the other students walked around them and into the school. They don't even look at each other as they stand in the past knowing that the doors would lead to their future.

"When we walk in there, everyone will know that we're together. Are you ready?"

"Yea, let's do it."

Emma returned Brett's look, as the two gave each other the confirmation nod and entered the building. Like a cliche gentlemen Brett opened the door for Emma only to have her open the second door for him. While entering the main foyer, Brett didn't know what to expect. Thinking he would be a celebrity in the school, he was sadly disappointed as he continued to remain a nobody. Walking up beside him Emma, looked at him only to have him look back.

"I gotta go to my locker quickly, I'll meet you in class?"

Like every young teenage couple, Emma wrapped her arms around Brett's neck as he put his arms around her waist and kissed each other goodbye. They kept it quick as they separated from one another to go get ready for class. However even though Brett wasn't' a celebrity in everybody else's eyes there was still a presence and someone glaring into his back.

Watching their interaction with each other, Bailey couldn't help but feel betrayed. Her heart shattered as her emotions ignited. Sadness of watching her man betray her, fear by losing her closest friend and anger towards the girl that she thought she beat all those months ago.

Unable to contain herself, she started to cry and turned around in the side hallway. The tears were pouring down her face as she retreated from everyone else in the school. Bailey's footsteps echoed through the hall as Brett turned thinking he had heard something but didn't see anyone behind him, before shrugging it off and going to his psychology class.

Down the hallway Bailey ran to the basement of the school, She had to find a place to retreat and she knew the perfect spot, down in the basement. The hallway had fours doors leading to different rooms, one of them was the school's furnace room. The wall cut in to where the door was and she sat against the wall disappearing from the hallway as if she was invisible.

Sitting down her phone was already in her hand, Brett's name was already on the phone as she prepared to send a message to him. I'm in the basement, I can't wait to see you. The lie left Bailey's finger tips and she sent the message to Brett, the friendship now hanging in the balance as she continued to cry.

On the upper floor, Brett and Emma's Psych class had ended as they entered the hallway. To entranced by Emma, Brett didn't even bother to check his phone. His main focus was her. Remembering that it had vibrated during the class he pulled out the phone and looked at it. Looking at the screen he saw the text from Bailey and started to read it.

"Is it Bailey?"

For a brief second, Brett had forgotten about Emma who was still beside him.

"Yea. She wants me to go see her. I wonder why she isn't in class."

Emma was starting to worry now, not sure what Bailey was going to have in store for Brett. She knew she couldn't' control him but that didn't stop her from trying.

"Brett, It's not healthy for you to be around her, but you know her better then I do. So go but text me when you're done."

Her grip on Brett's hand was intense as she didn't want him to leave her, knowing Bailey was going to try and make a move. They had come so far and now Brett was going behind enemy lines and for what. She'd never know.

"Alright I'll see you later."

Brett kissed Emma on the forehead as she reluctantly let go of him.

"Please be safe...and come back to me."

She quietly mumbled to herself. Trusting Brett would do the right thing. He headed down the stairwell leading to the basement, while Emma watched as he left through the threshold not knowing what was about to happen. Entering the basement doors, Brett took a few steps into the hallway looking for Bailey who was nowhere to be seen.

This is just like those dreams. Brett thought as he imagined the hallway that was from his nightmares, mixed with this reality. That's when he heard it, a low moan echoed down the hallway. He kept walking, searching for the sound source as the moan got louder and louder.

He looked over into one of the doorways and saw Bailey, crumpled over with tears running down her face in the mustard yellow hoodie that she had become known for. Brett crouched down and touched her shoulder.

"Bailey?"

"Why?"

"Why What?"

She knocked away his hand, as the anger in her tone was dominant in her voice. Bailey wasn't happy as she raised her head, the hood fell off her head and onto her shoulders, before looking up at him her eyes were completely blood shot, her mascara and tears had began to run down her face.

"Don't act so stupid Brett, why did you have your tongue in the mouth of that, that slut earlier."

"Woah, hold on. Why does it matter? You turned me down."

"Oh my god, I thought it was clear that I changed my mind about us. I'm in love with you Brett. But clearly you don't love me anymore...just like everyone else. Just go away."

She retreated again putting her head back in her arms.

"Fine, It'll make my life easier that's for sure."

Brett was starting to lose his temper as he grabbed the bag off the ground and walked away from Bailey. The friendship completely destroyed, with little hope of it ever being repaired.

"Asshole."

Mumbling to herself, she didn't expect Brett to hear. But the hallway was silent and it was clear as day. Pure fire was running in Brett's veins as he headed to the bus stop outside, having no intention of being at this prison any longer.