Chapter 23: Return To The Dark World

The boys stood on the street corner in shock, Mike was trying to look over Brett's shoulder at the text to see if his friend was telling the truth. Brett and him had been separated for so long that Brett had finally redeemed his old nickname. The Enigma.

Ever since Mike had seen him with Bailey, his friend had slowly disappeared in a shroud of mystery but there was still one thing that was the same. His passion for Emma. Brett couldn't see it himself but there was a twinkle in his eye as he looked down at the text message before looking up at Mike.

"I'll be honest I didn't expect this after I stood her up today."

Again Brett had forgotten how persistent Emma could be when she really set her mind on something, but this text message felt different it wasn't like the others. In fact it was more cryptic then anything.

"Dude, you stood her up?"

Usually Mike was pretty content, not a lot surprised him but the more Brett talked the harder it was for Mike to keep it cool. During their friendship over the last few years all Brett mentioned when him and the boys would bring up girls, was how interested he was in Emma, and the relationship he had fantasized about having with her. However, Brett knew what he was saying and the confused look on Mike's face told him that he was a hypocrite.

"Well yea but I didn't stand her up intentionally...I just didn't read her text message."

His excuse couldn't be anymore of a piece of garbage, but Mike had been surprised to many times today to even be phased.

"Damn. That sucks man," Mike says as Brett looks back down at the text message."So What does it say?"

"It just says tomorrow's a different day."

"Wow, that's cryptic."

Brett just stood motionless trying to decipher Emma's text message, while Mike continued to look over his shoulder. The hangout was pretty much over as Brett became to distracted by the conversation with Emma. He didn't have the guts to text her back, knowing he had already done so much damage to her fragile heart.

"Man, I think I'm going to go."

"Alright man, so we good?"

"Yea we're good."

The two of them grab each other's hands and reform the bond that was once destroyed by Brett's stupidity. Brett slid the phone in his pocket and turned around and walked across the street. Behind him, Mike watched still trying to understand what this other girl had that Emma didn't and how she could of changed Brett's mind so quickly. As his friend disappeared down he hill, Mike too, turned around and headed home.

***

One night that week while Brett fell asleep happier then ever before, his mind had other plans for him. Who knew how much time had past during the night as Brett found himself back in the old decrepit house he had been stuck in all those days ago.

It took him a few dream moments to comprehend where he was as the fear started to settle in. He looked around the darkness only to see nothing. Turning his attention to his hand, Brett saw the flashlight that had screwed him over the last time he was in this horror of a house.

He clicked it on illuminating the hallway that was again being ravaged by the thunderstorm outside the walls. Using the flashlight his fears were confirmed, it was the same hallway, he was reliving the nightmare.

Brett knew he had to get out of here and fast before the girl showed up again. Making his way down the corridor. An unsettling feeling started to set in as the storm outside came to an abrupt end. The rain that was previously bouncing off the window stopped. The lightning that was assisting in lighting his way. Stopped. Just the eerie silence and the specs of dust remained in the room. The flashlight was the only light, and seemed like it would remain the only light.

Walking down he hallway a little farther to where he saw the women the last time he was in this nightmare. There was nothing, as he continued to be alone. Brett's mind started to race as he was sure that this was the same spot in the hallway. The time before the girl was right here but now she wasn't. As he continued down the hallway, the flashlight began to flicker until the sound of the bulb bursting came from inside the flashlight and the room fell to the darkness.

Brett anticipated the women to appear at that moment but she didn't, instead down the hallway two candle sticks mounted on to the walls on the left and right, ignited with an orange flame shaking back and forth.

Between the two dancing flames, he saw something. A figure he hadn't seen the first time around was standing in the orange glow. A person in a cloak that covered there face was waiting. They had a slim frame, one of their hands exposed covered in a red substance. The hall was silent except for the single gust of wind that blew past him. The wind spoke to him.

"Run."

Almost immediately Brett turned around in hopes of running away, but they were already there. As he turned his nose brushed against the original girls bleeding one. Her pale face and lifeless eyes stared into his. She reached out to Brett, while air escaped her mouth but he was able to make out two words.

"Help...Me..."

An intense fear ran down his spine as he again tried to run in the dream but it was no use. Something had grabbed his arm and wouldn't let go this was it. He needed to face his demon. As he turned around in the dream his body shook and his eyes were forced open.