Chapter 29: Registration

Tuesday came around as Brett walked back into the old prison that he had missed over the last few months. Not. As he walked into the school, he held a manila envelope close to him filled with all of his important information.

Walking straight for the gymnasium, he heard someone walking up behind him. He looked over his shoulder to see Cam bee lining it to the gymnasium as well. Brett slowed his pace as Cam caught up.

"Hey man, what's good?"

As Cam caught up the two of them do their secret handshake, which was really just an average handshake that lasted an awkward amount of time and consisted off some really intense eye contact.

"So you ready to come back to this hell yet?"

"You know me man, each days a challenge."

Brett pushed through the gymnasium door with Cam right behind him as the two of them walked over to the registration line.

"So you taking Comp Sci again this year."

Brett made it to the line ahead of Cam, before he turned around to ask the question.

"For sure, It's a shame though about Pigeon."

"What do you mean?"

Cam was deep in thought as Brett looked at him unaware of Pigeon's situation.

"Dude didn't he tell you that he failed last year's class, because of his month long bronchitis attack."

Blown away at the thought that the best animator in the class didn't make it through to the advanced year, struck Brett a little realizing that Cam and him were going to have to step their game up a little. The line began to move forward a little as Cam and Brett shuffled along.

"Man that sucks."

Brett was still looking back at Cam when in his peripherals he saw the door of the gym swing open again, and Bailey walked in accompanied by an older women. They walked into the room and joined the line.

"Anyways bro, what about that girl? Did she ever get back to you?"

"Oddly enough man, she just walked in."

Brett had a bit of a laughter like tone in his voice as he continued to look at Bailey. Bailey didn't seem to notice him as Brett and Cam continued moving up in the line. Right as he was about to turn Bailey saw him and waved then gets a wave back from Brett. It was about time, Brett made it to the registrar at the first set of tables. He was an older man, who was bald with hair wrapping around the back side of his head. He had an accent that originated from Asian descent, making it a little bit of a struggle to understand him.

"Paper."

The registrar looked up at Brett as he handed over the manila envelope with all the documents. The registrar pulled out all the papers and quickly looked over them. Tracing the papers with his fingers for a minute then slid it back across the table to Brett.

"These aren't filled out properly."

Brett looked at the papers in disbelief, Tori had always done this, thinking she was occupied with two many things, meant a lot of Brett's school documentation got glanced over constantly. The registrar placed a pen on the papers and looked at Brett.

"Are you serious?"

He picked up the pen and looked down at the forms.

"Yes, here you can fill it out though."

The registrar started pointing at the form, as Brett started replacing all the information on the form with the correct information.

"Okay, now I just need a signature here, here, and here."

Brett began to sign his life away as he corrected his mother's mistakes and clicked the pen again, placing it back on the papers.

"Sorry about this."

The registrar pulled the papers back to his side of the table and double checked them.

"You're not the only one. Next."

Before Brett could leave the man handed him a photo slip for his identification card. Behind him Cam took Brett's spot while Brett continued to move through the process. Like a circuit course in a gym class everything was lined up in a 'U' shape. First was the registrar, then photos, then they print out the ID cards.

The photo line started right where the registration table ended it was one constant motion, one line of at least three hundred students. Brett was lucky to have been one of the first to get there as he made it the photographer in no time. He was still a few people away as something inside him said to check his phone.

He slid it out a partial way and saw a message from Bailey. Wait for me in the foyer when you're done. Brett clicked the phone off and slid it back the rest of the way into his pocket, and looked over at Bailey and her mother.

Her mom was now looking at Brett and smiled at him, before going back to talk to her daughter. Turning around he was the front of the line for the photographer, and handed the man his slip of paper before being escorted around the curtain and told to sit on the little black bench like structure in front of the camera.

As all photographers do, he positioned Brett in a way that was practically a contorting movement, while the photographer claimed that it's the ideal shot. However raising your leg up on one of the benches and crossing your arms does a whole lot in a face only photo. The photo was over in a flash, the photographer called the next person and Brett got back into the line to get his ID, and then looked back at Bailey who was now talking to the registrar. Brett got to the final table, and the two student volunteers handed him the plastic card and the lanyard it went on. His time was done in the gymnasium and he headed for the doors. He grabbed the handle and opened the door stepping out into temporary freedom in anticipation to see the girl he had flirted with and her mother.