four

"girl talk"

"girl talk"

"Knock knock!" I announced that I was present as I walked into my cousin's home.
"Quinny!" she cheered while running up to me.

We shared a tight embrace. "Girl, I haven't seen you since I helped you move in with Key. How have you been adjusting to New York?" she asked as we pulled away.
"It's been good, Sweets. So far so good," I nodded with a smile.

"You haven't been mugged yet or anything?" She asked.
"Nah. Keisha gave me the run-down as for do's and don't's. She said that she refused to have a roommate that didn't know what was going on," I shook my head with a slight laugh.
"Yeah, she's straight-forward like that," Sweets waved off.

"I don't mind. Thanks again for hooking me up with Key in the first place. I really needed a change in scenery, and I didn't know a damn thing about New York. You really stepped in and—"
"Girl, it's nothing. That's what family is for," she smiled.

"So, what's going on? It smells amazing in here," I glanced around her warm colored home.
"Nothin'. I'm just cooking for the week. I know that if I don't do it today, I won't have time to do it later," she explained.
"Oh, cool. How's the vegan thing been going?" I asked while following her into the kitchen.

"Actually, it's been really great. Once you find your groove, it really isn't bad at all," she explained.
"I've thought about goin' vegan myself, but you know how bacon is my weakness," I smirked.
"You can work your way up to being a vegan. I can give you a couple of recipes," she suggested.
"That'd be great," I revealed a full smile.

"So, I see that New York's been good so far. Keisha said you've got yourself a lil' boyfriend already," she smirked while gently placing 'breaded' cauliflower into a hot skillet.
I rolled my eyes while an entirely different smile began to play along my lips.

"Is that a smile I'm seeing? Girl, you really done got yourself a man?" she broadly smiled at me over her shoulder.
"He's not my boyfriend," I shook my head.
"You smilin' all big like he is. What's his name?" she asked me while dropping only a couple more pieces of cauliflower into the skillet. Once that was done, she wiped her hands on her apron and grabbed a glass plate and a paper towel.

"A lot of people call him Rocky," I replied.
"Real name please," she sung lightly while placing the paper towel on top of the plate and sliding the plate on the counter next to the stove.
"His real name is Juwan," I smirked.
"Ooh, Juwan. . . Not too shabby. Is he cute? Does he treat you nice?" she inquired.

She headed closer toward the island, where it was evident that she was in the midst of preparing a salad.

"Yeah and yeah. The chemistry is undeniable," I flipped my hair so that it no longer resided over my shoulder.
"If the chemistry is so great, why haven't you made him your boyfriend yet?" she asked.
"Because I've only been on, like, two dates with him," I informed her.
"Keisha told me that you've been seeing this boy for over a month," she raised an eyebrow.
"No, he was begging for a date for over a month," I clarified.