twenty six

"long distance"

"long distance"

"Juwan," she squealed shortly after gasping in shock.
"You like it?" I smirked.
"Baby, I love it! I love it so much," her eyes became glossed over as she looked up at me.

"Read what's engraved," I instructed.
She obliged, taking the ring out of its box and reciting the small words out loud.

"Practice '4' the real thing," she smiled broadly.
"Happy six months, sweetness," I told her, her smile proving to be contagious. "Go ahead and put it on."

"Put it on for me," she insisted.
I did so without complaint, taking her soft hand into my hold and sliding the ring onto her left hand's ring finger.

"You just got your nails done?" I smirked.
She nodded. "It's date night. I had to get my nails done."
I chuckled and kissed the back of her hand. "Well, they're beautiful, Q. I've always loved warm colors on you."

She blushed, glancing down at her ring with shining eyes and a small smile.
It became quiet, D'Angelo continuing to croon over the speakers of my stereo as she watched the diamond glimmer.

I was proud of that damn thing, seeing as though I've been doing everything I possibly could to earn extra cash so that I could buy this ring. I loved watching her shine alone, but finding jewelry that matched her smile proved to be a rewarding challenge.

Besides, I knew it'd be the perfect pick-me-up for shorty. She's only seemed to sink deeper into her depressive state, barely even able to make it out of bed, some mornings. Sometimes, I'd awaken to find her still next to me, when usually, she'd be long gone. For a majority of the time, however, she soldiers on and uses all of her energy at work. Sometimes, I'll even pop in to give her flowers or put a little extra somethin' in her tip jar or just to take her out for lunch.

She's been wanting to go to the park a lot more lately so we'd go pick up some shit from a bodega or a fast food joint and find a bench in the park. She's been talking to me more, especially in the open air. She's been more considerate of my feelings, not to say that she ever stopped being considerate. I can tell she appreciates my effort, and I know that as long as she's reminded of how dedicated I am even during her lows, we'll be fine.

This particular moment happened to be one of her highs— I could tell by the glimmering of her eyes— and I was more than satisfied knowing that I was responsible for such a great moment.

"You know— I got something for you too," she smiled gingerly before presenting me with the gift she got me. It was relatively small but beautiful in its packaging. She was always the best at wrapping gifts.

I didn't even hesitate to open it, finding a Cuban link chain inside the box. "I know that chains aren't really your thing, but I wanted you to have something that matched your smile," she caressed my face.
I chuckled lightly, almost blushing while watching the diamonds within the links shimmer under the romantic lighting.