forty one

"closure"

"closure"

I was sitting in a café, anxiously glancing around while my palms produced moisture. It'd only been a week since Violet and I's art show, and already, I was reaping the benefits. Beside being invited to other galleries for shows and functions, I was practically rolling around in money. .

okay, that's an exaggeration, but the art money along with the coke money was enough to have me living more comfortably than before.

I should've invested in the art business a lot sooner, and I was taking steps in order to deepen my pockets and improve the connections I already had. . . That wasn't why I was at this café though.

Quinn called me last night, and told me to meet her here. She said that she needed to talk to me, and part of me hoped that it would have to do with getting back together or at least, working toward a relationship.

Maybe the "talk" we had at the gallery helped her realize a few things, and hopefully, one of those things was how we belong together.

I was brought out of my tornado of thoughts when I witnessed her arrive. She strutted in with a tight, high waisted, black leather skirt hugging her curves while fishnet stockings adorned her long, smooth chocolate legs. She wore a bold, red turtleneck sweater and heels that matched. She carried a nice leather purse on her arm, shades covering her eyes as if she were some elite model. She always had been in my eyes.

Her lips were painted as red as her shirt, contrasting her skin and punctuating how plump her lips were. I stood from the table after swiping my sweaty palms onto my jeans once more. I smiled as she came closer, taking her glasses off as she gazed up at me.

"What's up, sweetness?" I greeted smoothly, my arm wrapping around her waist as I pulled her into a hug.
"Hi, Juwan," her melodic voice became a little muffled as she returned my hug.

"You called me by my real name and you're hugging me back? You missed Big Daddy, huh?" I chuckled.
She gave a brief, plastic smile before taking her seat, sitting before I could even attempt to pull the chair out for her.

"So, what's up?" I asked. "You look good. I missed you."
"Juwan, I didn't come here for pleasantries. Alright? I came here for closure," she replied.
"Closure?" I scoffed, my elbows sliding off of the table as I leaned back in my chair. "What— you fuckin' up my apartment wasn't enough closure?"
She rolled her eyes.

"Look, you can keep holding on to that yesteryear shit, if you want to, but I'm ready to talk about this shit like adults and move the fuck on with my life," she was blunt with her words.
"Move on?" I scoffed again.
"Yes. Move on— to go forward in my life— to progress toward better things—"

"I know what the fuck it means, Quinn, but. . . you got a whole ass man. If that's not moving on then what is?" I was confused, to say the least.
She stared at me for a moment before sighing deeply. "Juwan. . . I have. . . a lot of inner demons. I was at my lowest point when I was with you. When I say that, I'm not saying it to blame you. That's not my intent at all, but you didn't give me the support I needed. Everything that happened only made those previously had insecurities flourish, and. . . now, I'm just left with a lot of questions."