sixty

"cutting corners"

"cutting corners"

"Yo, I fucked up," I shook my head.
"Nigga, what's new? What you tellin' me for?" Red inquired.
"Because it's really really really bad, this time," I explained.

He kissed his teeth. "Man, you know I'm down to talk and shit, but me and Key are kinda' busy right now."
"You think I give a fuck?" I asked, my face screwing up a bit in doing so.
"You came to me tryna' talk and shit, man. You're on my time. Why don't you go to Marcus? He'll know what to do and say," Red nodded.

"Marcus has been MIA for the past month, Red—"

"Well then go find his ass. He's probably over there with Sweets. They'll know how to get you back on track with Ava," Rashad attempted to close the door in my face.

"That's the thing, man! This ain't about Ava," I pushed my hand against the wood of the door in order to halt it.
Rashad stared at me momentarily before asking, "what did you do?"

"I put my hands on Quinn," I mumbled.
"You put your— what? Why? What happened? Nigga, what's wrong with you?" his voice raised.
"I know it's fucked up. It happened so fast. I wasn't thinking—"

"Come in, man," Rashad motioned me inside while widening the door.
I stepped inside, finding Keisha wrapped up in a blanket, on the living room couch while a movie played on the television.

Keisha's eyebrows became furrowed at the sight of me before her eyes averted to Rashad, who'd just closed the door.
"'Shad, what is he doing here?" she asked.
Rashad scratched his head while approaching her, bringing to my attention the fact that his fro had been lined up and cut down to a Brooklyn fade.

"Yo, Key. I'ma have to take a rain check," he muttered.
I glanced around the home to give the appearance that I wasn't invested in their conversation. Although I wasn't, they weren't as quiet with their conversation as they thought they were.

"But you promised that we would—"

"I know but something just came up—"

"You know what? I'm not gonna' stress about it because it's not like this is the first time you've flaked on me for your boys," she immediately threw the blanket off of her and stood up.

Red kissed his teeth, watching her put her shoes on and grab her keys. "You'll be back later?"

"I'll be busy later. Remember? That's why we set aside this specific time to—"

"Baby, this is really crucial though. I know having this time together meant a lot to you, but I'll make it up to you. Don't I always?" he insisted.
"Whatever, Red. I'll call you later," she waved him off.

"A'ight. Can I get a kiss before you go?" he attempted to pull her close.
She only slipped from his grip, waving him off while walking toward the door. "Bye, Red."
"Call me, for real, 'cuz if you don't, I have no problem banging on your door at 3:00 in the morning, and disturbing your sleep," he called after her, following her as he did so. I took that as my cue to sit in the living room, in the recliner.