ten

"party & bullshit prelude"

"What's up, Rocky? How you been?" Ava beamed while throwing her arms around me.
"I've been good, Ava," I chuckled as we rocked side to side.

"How's that girlfriend of yours?" her smile remained just as bright as she pulled away from our tight embrace.
"She's, uh, good," I lied with a nod of my head.

"That's good," she nodded.
"Yeah," I mirrored her actions. "How have you been?"

"I really haven't been feeling well these last couple of weeks, and you know how I feel about the doctor and hospitals," she shuddered at the mention of the two.
"If you don't take your ass to the damn doctor, A," I kissed my teeth.
"I'm good. I don't need to go up in there and spend thousands of dollars just so they can do for me what I could've done for myself at my house for free," she waved off the suggestion.

"A'ight now, don't call me when you turn up with the flu or somethin'. Matter of fact, I'ma need you to take three steps back, shorty," I put up a stiff arm to distance us.

She rolled her eyes playfully and scoffed while pushing my arm down. I laughed in response before pulling her close and tousling her hair. "Stopppp," she whined, breaking away from me and punching me in my shoulder once she was free.

I continued to chuckle as she took the scrunchie that was on her wrist and used it to tie her hair back.
"You play so damn much, Rocky," she shook her head.
"Helps me pass the time," I shrugged.

"Whatever. . . I heard Red's having a party," she spoke.
"Another one?" my eyebrows rose in curiosity.
"It's been like two and a half months since the last one. You're actin' like the last one was just last weekend," she chuckled.

Shit, it feels just like last weekend when Quinn and I first met. Man, I wanted to call her.

"So, are you going? I'm surprised you didn't know about it. You see Red all the time, right?" she asked.
"Yeah, well, I haven't been over there as often as usual. Uh, when is it?" I inquired.
"Tomorrow at 8:00, which really means 10:45," she joked.
I chuckled along with her, finding truth in her statement.

"Well, I'll try to make it," I nodded.
"Cool, I'll save you a dance," she smirked.
"Cool," I smiled before glancing at the time.

"Shit, I gotta' jet. I'll catch you later," I informed her.
"Yeah. See you tomorrow night," she waved.

I left the store in which she worked and picked up some food from a bodega on my way back to where I'm usually posted. It was getting pretty close to 5:00, and soon I'd be turning in for the day. Some would argue that you could make the most money after 5:00. After all, the freaks come out at night, but eh. . . I'd rather spend my evenings sleeping or sleeping around.