sixteen

"the clouds"

"the clouds"

"Quinn," Lenée's voice tore my attention from my client, "your man's here."

"Okay, tell him to give me a minute," I called back to her while putting finishing touches on my client, who was a young lady who went by Val.

She was practically being raised by her recently widowed father, who didn't know what he was doing when it came to her hair. She was a beautiful eight year old that carried more confidence than I did when I was her age, and just by knowing her situation through mere conversation, I knew that she was stronger than I was at eight years old as well. This had only been her third time being in my chair, and by the way her face lit up when she saw her hair, I could tell that she'd be begging to come back.

I had given her big curls that bounced, half of her hair up while the rest was down. After adding ribbons that matched her outfit, I stripped her of the sheet I draped over her before we began and turned her chair toward the mirror.

"You like it?" I smiled as she grinned from ear to ear in the mirror.
"I love it! Thank you, Ms. Quinn!" she hugged me tightly.
"It's nothing, sweetheart. I'll let you take some extra ribbons too, just in case you lose one on the playground," I pulled out my box of barrettes and ribbons and scrunchies.

I allowed her to take whatever colors she liked before giving her some candy as well. With that, I walked her to the front, where her father waited alongside Juwan and customers who were waiting for their appointments.

"Thanks again, Quinn," Mr. Mitchell nodded while joining hands with his daughter.
"It's always a pleasure," I smiled sweetly as they left.

Once they were out of the door, I faced Juwan, who already had his sights set on me. "What are you doing here?" I asked him with a smirk.
"I wanted to take you out for lunch. . . and get my hair braided," he answered.
"Well, you need an appointment to get your hair done, baby boy," I reminded him.
"I'm sure you can squeeze me in; besides, you're like ten minutes away from your break," he stepped closer to me, an arm snaking around my waist.

I playfully rolled my eyes as he leaned down to my ear. "Just squeeze me in, baby. You're so gifted at it."
A laugh fled from my mouth at the sexual innuendo. "I don't know why you pressin' me like I can't just braid your hair later, free of charge," I folded my arms.
"Because you don't take free money, Q," he reasoned.

That was true. There have been a couple times when Juwan would try to pass me a wad of cash just because, but I just don't feel right not earning something like that.

"Stop trying to give me free money," I told him for the hundredth time, turning on my heels to return to my chair.
"I wouldn't have to try if you'd just take it," he followed behind me.

"What's up, ladies?" he paused to give a mass greeting to my coworkers.
"Hey, Rocky," they simultaneously sung back to him, eyelashes fluttering and flirty smiles exposing themselves.
I rolled my eyes while taking off my apron-like smock and straightening up my area. Soon enough, I unlocked the drawer in which I kept my purse and closed it again once my purse was in my possession.