juwan's epilogue

"luck"

"luck"

concrete sprouted a rose . . . two roses, actually, with the help of clouds that gave rain with love and intention.
two roses. . . and I missed them every day.

For the past four years, I'd been making trips to and from the States every three months or so, and now, I'd like to think that I was back for good— or until Christmas, at least.

I landed from my flight, being greeted by my childhood friends.

A gummy smile stretched along Rashad's face while Marcus had yet to notice me approaching. He had more immediate matters at hand, tending to the two-month old that was cradled in his arms.

"What's up wit'chu, Basquiat? Good to have you home baby!" Rashad didn't fail in being loud enough to draw attention from bystanders.

"Good to be home, B," I chuckled, dropping one of my bags in order to engage in a handshake. Only briefly after our hands were locked did we embrace one another.

After a few moments of patting each other's backs, we separated with smiles and childish shoves to each other. I then greeted Marcus with as much of a handshake as I could give him with his newborn in his arms.

I couldn't help but laugh. "How's the family life treating you, Money?"
"Maaaan, it's paradise," he smiled widely as I picked up the suitcase I dropped and readjusted the duffle bag I had strapped across my torso.

"Good to hear, man. How's Sweets anyway?" I inquired.
"Never better. Cranky sometimes, but never better," he chuckled as the three of us began heading toward the exit.

"Speaking of which, it's almost time for Diamond to get fed. You were cuttin' it close, man. I thought you said you'd be here at 1:00," Marcus pointed.

We walked through the automatic sliding doors of the airport as I gave my answer. "My bad, B. The flight got delayed, but I'm here now. Aren't I?"

He smiled slightly as I nudged him a little. "Yeah, man. . . I know the kids are gonna' lose it when they see you. They talk about you from the time you leave until the time you get back, every time you visit."

"I can confirm that," Rashad chuckled.
"Feels good to know I'm missed, man," I couldn't fight my grin even if I tried.
"You have no idea," Rashad shook his head while we all approached his vehicle.

Two of my bags were thrown in the trunk, Marcus took the backseat alongside Diamond's car seat, and I assumed shotgun.

We stopped at the store. I wanted to get flowers, and Marcus wanted to pick up some snacks for Sweets. Rashad and I stood beyond the section of freshly cut bouquets, my eyes searching wildly for something that looked familiar.

I was taking so long that when Marcus joined us once more, all of his snacks were in a grocery bag while his daughter was kept close to his heart with his other hand.