fifteen

"thanksgiving"

"thanksgiving"

"What's up, Qu—"
"Don't 'what's up, Quinn' me, Romeo. Why are you here?" I asked harshly.
"Woah, where's this hostility coming from?" his eyebrows furrowed in confusion and defensively.

I stared up at him, my eyes cold and squinted. How dare he ask such a dumb ass question. How dare he present himself at my door with roses and play dumb like this. He knows exactly where the fuck this shit is coming from.

"Look here, Romeo. I'm not playin' wit'chu. I need you to leave," my voice was stern as I pointed toward the opposite end of the hall.
"What's the deal, Quinn? Why you treatin' me so cold?" he asked.
"Because yo' ass stood me up. We had a date, remember?" I reminded him.

His eyes widened in realization. "Quinn, I'm sorry. I completely forgot. I had other obligations," he shook his head while guilt filled his voice and eyes. He wasn't fooling me though.

"I know you did. That girl you were with was really pretty," I folded my arms, watching his face drain of any color. It almost made me laugh, seeing how shook he was.
"How—How did you know—"
"I walked into the café to get some hot chocolate, and I saw you two," I explained.
He released a deep sigh while letting his eyes close.

"I blew my chance. Didn't I?" he asked.
"What do you think?" I raised an eyebrow.

With that, I stepped back into my apartment and closed the door in his face. I returned to my bedroom, where I was unboxing gifts that I got for myself. I finally went on that shopping spree and treated myself to body butters and lavender and lingerie. I even bought a new wig and restocked on a few hair products.

In the midst of putting things away, Keisha softly knocked on my door. My attention averted toward my open door while she leaned against the wall.

"I just thought that I should let you know that Red usually hosts a small little Friendsgiving at his crib. So, if you felt up to it—"
"That sounds great. I'd love to go," I instantly smiled.
"Cool. Well, dinner starts at about 7:00, and I should warn you, it ain't gonna' be nothin' extravagant," she informed me.

"What do you mean?" I asked.
"You're probably used to big feasts and shit, but that's not what the deal is. Usually, Sweets helps Red hook a little something up just to spice up the evening, but as for dinner— it's just Chinese takeout," she explained.
"Chinese takeout?" my nose crinkled.

"No need to make that face," she noted.
"Sorry," I hadn't even realized that I'd done that.
"It's not much, but these dinners mean a lot to him. He won't ever admit it, but. . . him and the boys practically raised each other, and—"

"I get it. . . I'm honored to join," I smiled gingerly.
She returned my expression before slowly leaving. Disclosing that we'll be bringing dessert, she closed the door behind her as she left. After finishing the task that I was doing, I proceeded to take a shower. Once I was out and my skin was moisturized, I got dressed in jeans and a plain t-shirt. Leaving my hair braided up, I tied a head wrap onto my head. With that, I slid my feet into a pair of Adidas and helped Keisha make brownies made from both regular chocolate and white chocolate. Once both pans were in the oven, we straightened up our home a bit and proceeded to relax.