fifty

"birthday boy"

"birthday boy"

"Are you and Juwan seeing each other again?" Emerald inquired.
"If we were?" I gave off an attitude.

She sighed in a disappointed fashion. "What happened to Marlo? He was really good for you, and he wasn't afraid to challenge you—"
"Guess I couldn't handle the heat," I shrugged nonchalantly.
She scoffed. "Quinn, you can do whatever you want, and—"
"You're right. I can because I'm grown," I nodded.

"And you know I'm gonna support you regardless, but. . . I don't think this was the right call," she finished the statement I interrupted.
"You can think that all you want, but I'm happy again. I'm whole again. I could give a fuck about being with Marlo," I shrugged.

"Does Marlo know you feel that way?" she asked.
I rolled my eyes.
"He could be waiting by the phone right now, Quinn."
"Didn't nobody tell him to do that. . . Look, we never would've worked, a'ight? He's too possessive and jealous. I need a man that's secure," I explained.

"And Rocky is secure? Rocky ain't jealous?" she questioned me.
"Rocky is whatever I need him to be," my tone grew stern as I glanced at her.
She laughed bitterly.

"What's so funny?" I scowled.
"I just think it's funny how you're trying to play it off like you don't love Marlo," she shook her head.
"I don't, Sweets. I never have. He was sweet, and he was a good time, but he wasn't Juwan. That's just it," I shrugged.

"You're scared," she said.
I scoffed. "Girl, what don't you get? I don't love him. I ain't scared of shit. My heart just ain't with Marlo."

"Because you won't give it to him! You're still hung up on Juwan when you've got someone who'd take a bullet for you—"

"Juwan would take a bullet for me, Sweets. Stop speaking on what the fuck you don't know. I'm happy, alright? You shouldn't care who it's with," I snapped.
"You're not happy, Quinn. You're comfortable," she retorted.

"You don't have to do better, when you're with Juwan. You don't have to reach for the stars, when you're with him. You don't have to be your best self, when you're with him," she listed.
"You're right. I don't. I just have to be myself, when I'm with Juwan. He wants me as I am. I don't have to change a damn thing," I stood from my seat.

"He doesn't want you to change because you won't be on his level no more, if you do. He wants you to be just as low and complacent as he is," she set her coffee mug down.
"Well, I guess we're just low and complacent together then," I shrugged carelessly with a cocky smirk.

She shook her head at me in disgust. "Why, Quinn?"

"Why what?" I maintained my smug face.
"Why are you backtracking like this? After the shit he's put you through and—"
"We're meant to be, Sweets. I can't deny that any longer. . . It is what it is. We're in love," I shrugged.